Jaguars Camp Report: Day 6
July, 31, 2014
By Michael DiRocco | ESPN.com
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Jacksonville Jaguars training camp.
- No, the Jaguars weren’t doing anything radical on defense on Thursday. Safety Johnathan Cyprien and cornerback Dwayne Gratz did not switch positions, although that’s what it looked like. They just switched jerseys. It was Cyprien’s idea, and it caused a bit of confusion at the beginning of practice for anyone that was watching. "Just to switch it up in practice, I guess, have a little fun," Cyprien said. "It was something that just came to me today. Maybe I did do it one or two times in college." Let’s hope it doesn’t start a trend or the media is going to waste a lot of time asking coach Gus Bradley why defensive tackle Sen’Derrick Marks is playing tight end.
- Bradley called a team huddle after a water break late in practice and lit into the players a bit. It’s not that he wasn’t happy with the energy level. He just wanted to make sure the players didn’t start to slip as the first week of camp ended. "We just have to pick up the level of intensity," Bradley said. "It was good, but I just felt like at this point in time in practice and training camp, we haven’t felt a lull. And I didn’t want it to become a lull, so I just readdressed it: ‘OK, you may start to feel this. This is what we’ve been talking about. Let’s fight through this.’ And I thought they did a good job with it." Quarterback Blake Bortles was a little more succinct in describing Bradley’s message: "Let’s go."
- Telvin Smith, who is up to 219 pounds after reporting to rookie minicamp at 218, flashed his speed with an interception return for a touchdown. Defensive tackle Ziggy Hood tipped Chad Henne’s pass at the line of scrimmage and Smith grabbed the deflection and scored. Smith has been getting reps with the first-team defense in the nickel package to take advantage of his speed. "We’ll see how that works out with Geno [Hayes]," Bradley said. "Right now, how we’re doing it is Geno is going with the first and second down, Telvin on third down." Rookie linebacker
- Several players went down with injuries on Thursday: receivers Tandon Doss (ankle) and Allen Robinson (hamstring), linebacker John Lotulelei (sprained MCL), and defensive tackle Jordan Miller (knee). It’s another setback for the receivers. Cecil Shorts (hamstring) and Ace Sanders (leave of absence/suspension) are also out so there’s not much experience left. Here’s a recap of the injuries as well as what it means for the receivers.
- Linebacker Paul Posluszny, tight end Marcedes Lewis and defensive end Chris Clemons were given veteran days off. … One of the highlights of the one-on-one offensive line versus defensive line battles was defensive end Gerald Rivers surprisingly beating left guard Zane Beadles twice.
- The Jaguars will practice at 9:55 a.m. Friday.