- Andy Katz, ESPN.com Senior Writer
- 0 Shares
1. Big 12 and SEC officials were working on the details of an event for next season similar to the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. The SEC has 14 teams and the Big 12 has 10, so the SEC would rotate in 10 of its 14 to be involved in the matchup. Of course, to make this work the SEC cannot omit marquee teams like Kentucky, Florida, Tennessee and Missouri. The ACC will select the top 12 rated teams among its 14 in 2013, or 15 when Notre Dame joins, to match up with the Big Ten's 12 squads. The SEC should consider a similar format to ensure it would get the top teams competing in the challenge every season. The Big 12/Pac-10 Hardwood Series never caught on, was hard to follow and was too spread out. The SEC/Big East Invitational/Challenge, which finishes up this season, didn't have the headline potential, either. But if the SEC and Big 12 play this one right and keep the SEC's top teams in it every year, it has a chance.
2. Kansas and Michigan State played Tuesday in Atlanta and have the potential to get familiar in the next two seasons as well, without actually signing a series agreement. The Spartans and Jayhawks are likely going to be in the Battle 4 Atlantis in 2013, assuming the Spartans can get out of the Coaches Vs. Cancer Classic in Brooklyn, N.Y., according to MSU coach Tom Izzo. Both schools are also in the Old Spice Classic in Orlando in 2014. Meanwhile, Kansas has signed up to play New Mexico in 2013 but the location is still unknown. The game could be in Kansas City if the SEC Challenge game is in Lawrence. The Lobos continue to push for quality road games -- with a visit to Cincinnati next month to begin a new series the latest example. Kansas, though, won't be making a return trip to the Pit.
3. Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski offered a new wrinkle to games being played at military facilities. He said he'd like to see Division I teams take their second exhibition game and play them all at military bases or facilities around the United States. Krzyzewski could see all of this occur around Veterans Day weekend to celebrate and honor the troops. Meanwhile, Izzo couldn't stop talking about how much he enjoyed his experience at the Armed Forces Classic at Ramstein Air Base last week. And with the Spartans' victory over Kansas on Tuesday night in Atlanta, any talk of fatigue was moot.
1. Big 12 and SEC officials were working on the details of an event for next season similar to the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. The SEC has 14 teams and the Big 12 has 10, so the SEC would rotate in 10 of its 14 to be involved in the matchup.