Across The Field: Northern pipeline?
February, 17, 2013
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
So is a Michigan recruiting pipeline forming? It looked like it on Sunday, when a second Michigander committed to the Buckeyes' 2014 class. But then Lawrence Marshall did some reconsidering. This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com.
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- The Buckeyes picked up three commitments for 2014 on a weekend when they hosted top juniors from across the country.
- No. 3 in the class was ESPN Watch List offensive lineman Kyle Trout, No. 4 was defensive end Lawrence Marshall and No. 5 was running back Parris Campbell Jr.
- But that number went back to four when Marshall decided he'd committed too quickly. Still, Ohio State's success up north could be changing the recruiting landcape.
- It certainly seemed like a successful weekend.
- The junior standouts are getting ready for camp season, and there are three big ones in the Midwest this weekend, including a SPARQ combine in Massillon, Ohio.
- You've got to aim high, right? Brad Bournival unveiled his "dream team" for 2014, both on offense and defense.
- Deshaun Watson is the only quarterback to get an OSU offer so far. Looks like Urban Meyer and Tom Herman are being very picky in terms of QBs in this class.
- The Buckeyes' class of receivers/athletes was the best in the country, according to RecrutingNation's Tom Luginbill.
- Austin Ward began a series looking at the roster heading into spring practice. So far, we've examined quarterbacks, running backs, receivers and tight ends.
- One of the top cornerbacks in the country has Ohio State on his short list.
- So does one of the top safeties.
- Three receivers received offers this week: one from Florida, one from New Jersey, and one from Cincinnati.
- Another Georgia prospect received an offer, but the Buckeyes will have some work to do to land RB Nick Chubb.
- The Big Ten is open to a scheduling alliance with another conference even as it increases the number of conference games. And there won't be any more FCS opponents, either.
- Ohio State moved up a spot in the Way Too Early Top 25. And the Buckeyes are an 8-1 pick to break the SEC's stranglehold on the national championship trophy.
- Urban Meyer likes to tell this colorful Woody Hayes tale on the banquet circuit. (A tale that OSU later clarified to be a bit embellished.)
- Woody Hayes was born 100 years ago this week, and Ohio State marked the occasion with an 800-pound bronze statue outside the Woody Hayes Athletic Center. (OSU, Dispatch)
- Meyer prepared a test for the players on the legendary coach. (Land Grant Holy Land)
- Part of Urban Meyer's appeal to Ohio State fans is that he gets Ohio State history so well. (Eleven Warriors)
- A look inside the Buckeyes' football facilities. (Plain Dealer)
- Ohio State signee Vonn Bell's father said Tennessee's late push was too little, too late. (Chattanooga Times Free Press)
- And new Buckeyes linebacker Mike Mitchell brings a unique skill set to Columbus, writes Doug Lesmerises. (Plain Dealer)
- A look at the best seasons for freshmen in Ohio State history. (TheOzone.net)
- No. 1 Indiana came to town and humbled the Buckeyes, and they floundered before putting away Northwestern.
- 2014 power forward David Bell is a fast-riser, and now a Buckeyes pledge.
- Indiana's team play showed Ohio State its deficiencies, writes Bill Livingston. (Plain Dealer)
- Deshaun Thomas needs more help, writes Michael Arace. (Dispatch)
- Sad news about Mama Lighty, who was a fixture around the Ohio State program even after her son David finished his eligibility. (Plain Dealer)
- The Big Ten has never been better; will it translate in March?
The Gang's All Here
- The Buckeyes will miss their star junior pitcher and first baseman for at least two months. (Lantern)
- After a loss to No. 1 Penn State, the No. 5 OSU wrestling team is looking toward the national duals. (Lantern)
- Ohio State's tweaked logo is going over about as well as New Coke. (Eleven Warriors)
- And the cost was $45,000. (Columbus Business First)
- And finally, there's the story of a 65-year-old Buckeyes fan getting pulled over by police in Tennessee because of her Ohio State sticker. No, it's not that kind of leaf. (Dispatch)
The Unknown Of Cardale Jones
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49 Final Fresno State 6 Rice 30
Final Illinois 18 Louisiana Tech 35 Final Rutgers 40 North Carolina 21 Final North Carolina State 34 UCF 27
Final Cincinnati 17 Virginia Tech 33 Final 15 Arizona State 36 Duke 31 Final Miami (FL) 21 South Carolina 24 Final/OT Boston College 30 Penn State 31 Final Nebraska 42 24 USC 45
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State