Big Ten lunchtime links
August, 28, 2013
By Brian Bennett | ESPN.com
Happy football eve!
- Minnesota is pulling out all the stops to get students in the stands for tomorrow night's game against UNLV. The Gophers have a four-way competition at punter still going. Some injury news on the eve of Minnesota's opener.
- It's bowl or bust for Indiana, Bob Kravitz writes. The Hoosiers are adding more to their gameday experience (subscription required).
- Michigan State's quarterback battle is just beginning, Graham Couch writes. Receivers have to emerge to help Andrew Maxwell. Jeremy Langford will start at running back, but the Spartans expect to play four others there, too.
- Wisconsin's Gary Andersen is looking for ways to get his best athletes on the field, including possibly using Tanner McEvoy on defense. Ryan Groy feels comfortable in his move back to left guard after being asked to play left tackle. The Badgers haven't settled on a starting center or right guard yet.
- Devin Gardner takes the reins with confidence at Michigan. The Wolverines plan to go three deep across the defensive line. Greg Mattison looks for Jarrod Wilson and others to step up with Courtney Avery out. Watch Michigan recruit Jabrill Peppers' unbelievable touchdown run.
- Taylor Martinez has become comfortable with life in the fishbowl. Nebraska is looking to rotate more players in and out of its secondary this season. The Big Red defensive depth chart is clearing up, with Vincent Valentine claiming a starting tackle job thanks to improved conditioning.
- Bill Cubit gives Illinois' offense an identity, but he has a lot of reloading to do. It's all about finding a comfort level for the Illini and Nathan Scheelhaase.
- In a change for Iowa, Kirk Ferentz seems more optimistic about his team than the fans do. Beating Northern Illinois is a must for the Hawkeyes, Rick Brown writes. Jake Rudock views his debut Saturday as "just the beginning."
- Outside perceptions are finally matching Northwestern's own expectations. Some Wildcats practice notes.
- Purdue's offensive line bonded by going canoeing. Both the Boilermakers and Cincinnati present mysteries to one another.
- Ohio State chose eight captains -- does that mean the Buckeyes have a lot of leaders or not enough? Urban Meyer is confident in his young defense, though he says the jury is still out. Breaking down the Buckeyes' depth chart.
- Like Penn State, Syracuse is keeping people guessing about who will start at QB on Saturday. Allen Robinson has been quite a catch for the Nittany Lions. A freshman defensive back left the team.
Moving Day For Maryland And Rutgers
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
7:00 PM ET Eastern Illinois Minnesota 10:00 PM ET Rutgers Washington State
8:30 AM ET Penn State UCF 12:00 PM ET Youngstown State Illinois 12:00 PM ET Indiana State Indiana 12:00 PM ET Northern Iowa Iowa 12:00 PM ET Appalachian State Michigan 12:00 PM ET Ohio State Navy 12:00 PM ET Western Michigan Purdue 3:30 PM ET James Madison Maryland 3:30 PM ET Florida Atlantic Nebraska 3:30 PM ET California Northwestern 9:00 PM ET Wisconsin LSU