Finally, Saturdays have meaning again ...
- Minnesota may have scheduled some cupcakes for its nonconference schedule but, Tom Powers writes, but the Gophers are off to the right start after dismantling UNLV 51-23 on Thursday. And big plays naturally played a big role in overcoming a slow first half.
- Penn State is looking forward to playing inside an NFL stadium. It's "like a dream come true," said one player. Mike Poorman writes that MLB Glenn Carson follows a long line of PSU linebackers from New Jersey.
- Nick Baumgardner outlines the five keys and things to watch in the Wolverines' opener against Central Michigan. The Chippewas are clearly overmatched but, in this breakdown, they do at least have the advantage when it comes to the rush offense.
- Buffalo's mission against Ohio State? "Collect a hefty paycheck, don't have injuries and don't embarrass yourself." Without their top two running backs, the Buckeyes will have to lean more on their passing attack.
- Andrew Maxwell's first season as Michigan State's starting QB wasn't exactly productive, but he should be better now that he has more experience. Western Michigan is also keeping the Spartans guessing about its schemes for Friday night's opener.
- Nebraska will install a statue of former football coach/athletic director Bob Devaney during a public ceremony at 4 p.m. Friday. More than 20 years after running onto the field as a Cornhusker, Tom Banderas will see his son do the same.
- Wisconsin's coach is different, but the goal's the same: Get to Pasadena. Linebacker Ethan Armstrong, who missed all of spring practice, is ready for the new 3-4 defense.
- Iowa OL Brandon Scherff, who went with a knee injury last year, reflected on how painful it was to watch the Hawkeyes struggle from the bench. But he and the other Hawkeyes are hoping to turn that pain into gain this season. There's no way around it, either -- the season opener against Northern Illinois is a must-win.
- Indiana crushed Indiana State 73-35 in Thursday's opener and set quite a few scoring records. But, Bob Kravitz writes, remember it's just against Indiana State.
- Illinois starters Eric Finney and Ted Karras are out the opener. Here are 10 important questions surrounding Illinois football.
- Northwestern's Venric Mark is no longer an afterthought. Here's a primer on Northwestern and a bit of what to expect in the Cal game.
Penn State Adds DT Thomas Holley
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
2:00 PM ET Washington State Colorado State 3:30 PM ET 20 Fresno State 25 USC 5:30 PM ET Buffalo San Diego State 9:00 PM ET Tulane Louisiana-Lafayette
6:00 PM ET Pittsburgh Bowling Green 9:30 PM ET Utah State 23 Northern Illinois
2:30 PM ET Marshall Maryland 6:00 PM ET Syracuse Minnesota 9:30 PM ET Brigham Young Washington
12:00 PM ET Rutgers Notre Dame 3:20 PM ET Cincinnati North Carolina 6:45 PM ET Miami (FL) 18 Louisville 10:15 PM ET Michigan Kansas State
11:45 AM ET Middle Tennessee Navy 3:15 PM ET Ole Miss Georgia Tech 6:45 PM ET 10 Oregon Texas 10:15 PM ET 14 Arizona State Texas Tech
12:30 PM ET Arizona Boston College 2:00 PM ET Virginia Tech 17 UCLA 4:00 PM ET Rice Mississippi State 8:00 PM ET 24 Duke 21 Texas A&M
12:00 PM ET Nebraska 22 Georgia 12:00 PM ET UNLV North Texas 1:00 PM ET Iowa 16 LSU 1:00 PM ET 19 Wisconsin 9 South Carolina 5:00 PM ET 5 Stanford 4 Michigan State 8:30 PM ET 15 UCF 6 Baylor
7:30 PM ET 13 Oklahoma State 8 Missouri 8:30 PM ET 12 Clemson 7 Ohio State