Big Ten lunchtime links
September, 11, 2013
By Brian Bennett | ESPN.com
- Tim Beckman, a former Oklahoma State assistant, said he was shocked by the Sports Illustrated allegations about the Cowboys program. There is optimism now around Illinois.
- Indiana freshmen are getting acclimated on defense. Hoosiers cornerback Tim Bennett plays bigger than his size (subscription required).
- Dropped passes have stung Iowa. Videos from the Hawkeyes media session. The Cy-Hawk game usually fizzles rather than sizzles, Pat Harty writes.
- Michigan's Kyle Kalis got some advice from his hero. Greg Mattison and Brady Hoke want better play from their defensive line. The young Wolverines defense is learning fast.
- Joe Rexrode predicts Damion Terry will be starting at QB for Michigan State by October. Delton Williams and Gerald Holmes are likely to redshirt for the Spartans, while DeAnthony Arnett has tumbled down the depth chart. Mark Dantonio's desperation is evident in his quarterback decisions, Graham Couch writes.
- Minnesota quarterback Philip Nelson is trying to balance the risk and reward of running the ball. Gophers corner Briean Boddy-Calhoun is lost for the season with an ACL. Receiver Logan Hutton earned his first start because of his blocking.
- Urban Meyer is looking for more yards out of Philly Brown. One day changed everything for Ohio State backup QB Kenny Guiton. The Buckeyes will have to deal with Cal's spread offense.
- Nebraska's offense is looking to finish vs. UCLA. Zaire Anderson is likely to get an expanded role against the Bruins. Third down defense will be large for the Huskers.
- The frenzy around Northwestern football is deserved and earned, Rick Telander writes. Some Wildcats practice notes.
- Penn State season tickets are down, but the STEP program is being called a success. Ralph Friedgen knows Bill O'Brien and UCF coach George O'Leary better than anybody, and he talks about both of them to David Jones. The Nittany Lions' pass-catchers outside of Allen Robinson are sorting themselves out.
- Purdue's MVP so far might be Cody Webster, who's leading the nation in punting. Anthony Brown is likely to take injured safety Landon Feichter's spot. Darrell Hazell is looking for more touchdowns.
- Wisconsin's running game looks pretty much the same with a new coaching staff. Linebacker Chris Borland leads by example. Injured fullback Derek Watt hopes to play at Arizona State.
The Early Offer: March 5
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35