Week in review: NittanyNation
February, 17, 2013
By Josh Moyer | ESPN.com
NittanyNation takes a look at this week’s Penn State football news and what you might have missed:
- Coaches who squared off against Brandon Bell sounded off on the Penn State commit and appeared most impressed by his speed and range.
- Andrew Nelson wrote a column for NittanyNation on why he chose Penn State. He listed academics, coaching staff and relationships as his three main reasons.
- Penn State hired former Georgia State defensive coordinator Anthony Midget as the safeties coach.
- Video: NCAA president Mark Emmert discussed the penalties imposed against Penn State on "Outside the Lines."
- Tight end-turned-offensive tackle Garry Gilliam received an extra year of eligibility.
- Parker Cothren's coach talked about his player and said Cothren stood his ground against ESPN's top-rated OT -- despite weighing in more than 40 pounds lighter than him.
- Listen: Jay Paterno joined "Mike and Mike" to discuss the family's report on the Jerry Sandusky scandal.
- We took an overview at all the run-ons on defense/special teams along with the run-ons on offense.
- Penn State's first commit of the 2014 class, Mark Allen, said he felt called to be a leader and wants to help the staff reel in other commits in the class.
- We started up our "Meet the run-on" series by offering a glance at the following walk-ons: Sean Corcoran, Brandon Smith, Cole Chiappialle and Tom Pancoast.
- OT Juwann Bushell-Beatty will visit PSU soon, and Anthony Davis will also likely make another visit. The staff has also been in the ear of athlete Patrick Amara.
- Mailbag: From breakout players to quarterbacks, NittanyNation answered several questions in-depth as part of the bi-weekly mailbag.
- We listed five Penn State commits who are rated three-stars that fans should keep an eye on.
- Linebacker Carter Henderson talked in a Q&A about why he turned down offers from several FCS and Div. II schools to walk-on at PSU.
- ESPN Watch List prospect D'Andre Payne named his top schools ... and Penn State has some catching up to do.
- Video: Brian Bennett talks about the B1G's decision to stop scheduling games against FCS opponents.
- Harrisburg (Pa.) RB Rob Martin received his first few offers earlier in the week and said he plans to attend Penn State's junior day.
One Thing To Know: Big Ten Recruiting
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
7:00 PM ET Eastern Illinois Minnesota 10:00 PM ET Rutgers Washington State
8:30 AM ET Penn State UCF 12:00 PM ET Youngstown State Illinois 12:00 PM ET Indiana State Indiana 12:00 PM ET Northern Iowa Iowa 12:00 PM ET Appalachian State Michigan 12:00 PM ET Ohio State Navy 12:00 PM ET Western Michigan Purdue 3:30 PM ET James Madison Maryland 3:30 PM ET Florida Atlantic Nebraska 3:30 PM ET California Northwestern 9:00 PM ET Wisconsin LSU