Stove Summary: Club gets catcher, reliever
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Day 1 is in the books here at the Winter Meetings and the Texas Rangers made the Geovany Soto deal official (one-year, $2.75 million plus up to $250,000 in incentives) and are closing in on a deal with reliever Joakim Soria.
A few other things of note:
* Jurickson Profar was evaluated by Keith Meister, who agreed with the MRI that showed mild inflammation in his right forearm. The club doesn't believe the injury to be serious and ended Profar's stay in winter ball a week early just to be sure.
* Asked about his outfield if Josh Hamilton wasn't in it, general manager Jon Daniels mentioned a host of players, including David Murphy in left, Leonys Martin, Craig Gentry and Engel Beltre in center and Nelson Cruz in right. But he also listed Leury Garcia. He's been primarily an infielder, playing just four games in outfield at Double-A Frisco. He also played a game in the outfield in winter ball. But the Rangers feel like he's a good athlete that at some point could help them in 2013 if needed.
* Daniels said the club would like to bring Koji Uehara back but added that the reliever is mulling through some things. The buzz in the lobby is that Uehara wants to go to Baltimore. Uehara was good against lefties down the stretch and someone the Rangers want back if they can make things work.
* Daniels didn't close the door completely on Mike Adams, but said that it's Adams' first shot at free agency and that he's going to test the market. Daniels didn't sound optimistic that Adams would return.
We'll see what transpires Tuesday and will have more updates for you in the morning.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett for his weekly visit to discuss a hypothetical Jurickson Profar for Cliff Lee trade, how he would handle Profar's playing time with the Rangers and more.
Play Podcast Rangers shortstop Elvis Andrus joins Galloway & Company to discuss having Scott Boras as his agent, his new contract and having Jurickson Profar in the lineup.
Play Podcast Rangers manager Ron Washington joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett for his weekly visit to discuss Yu Darvish's pitch count and how he spends time in the clubhouse during weather delays.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway & Company for his weekly visit to discuss the latest Rangers news.
Play Podcast Reid Ryan joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss his new position with the Houston Astros and whether he could see his dad, Nolan, joining him there in the future.
Play Podcast ESPN MLB Insider Jayson Stark joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss if the Rangers are the best team in baseball, what makes them so good and if he thinks the team will trade Jurickson Profar.
Play Podcast Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss Ron Washington's decision to send Yu Darvish to the mound for the eighth inning Thursday night and how he would handle a situation like that if he were still a GM.
Play Podcast Randy Galloway, Matt Mosley and Glenn "Stretch" Smith discuss the latest Rangers news, including the Yu Darvish-Justin Verlander matchup.
- There are no games scheduled for today.