Justin Havens at MLB Stats & Information did some digging on Matt Harrison and found that not only was he the Rangers' most consistent pitcher in 2012 but was also one of the top pitchers in all of baseball. A look at some of the numbers:
* He was the fourth-best pitcher in MLB as measured by Wins Above Replacement:
1. Justin Verlander, Tigers: 7.6
2. David Price, Rays: 6.4
3. Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers: 6.2
4. #Matt Harrison, Rangers: 6.2
5. Johnny Cueto, Reds: 5.8
# Previous career-best was 3.5 WAR (2011)
* Harrison has blossomed the past two seasons. He had a 5.59 ERA in his first three seasons with a -0.8 WAR in 225 1/3 innings. In his last two seasons, Harrison has a 3.39 ERA in 399 innings pitched with a 9.7 WAR.
* Harrison has focused on pounding the strike zone in his last two seasons, something that pleases manager Ron Washington. Among left-handed starters, he had the fourth-highest percentage of pitches in the strike zone. Harrison's last three seasons:
2012 -- Walk rate: #6.7 percent; Called strike rate: 34.7 percent
2011 -- Walk rate: 7.4 percent; Called strike rate: 30.2 percent
2010 -- Walk rate: 11 percent; Called strike rate: 28.8 percent
# 59 walks issued in 876 plate appearances
* Highest percentage of pitches in strike zone by left-handers last season:
Cliff Lee, Phillies: 58.1 percent
Derek Holland, Rangers: 54.2 percent
Wei-Yin Chen, Orioles: 53.7 percent
Matt Harrison, Rangers: 53.3 percent
>>League-average: 50.4 percent
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett for his weekly visit to discuss a hypothetical Jurickson Profar for Cliff Lee trade, how he would handle Profar's playing time with the Rangers and more.
Play Podcast Rangers shortstop Elvis Andrus joins Galloway & Company to discuss having Scott Boras as his agent, his new contract and having Jurickson Profar in the lineup.
Play Podcast Rangers manager Ron Washington joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett for his weekly visit to discuss Yu Darvish's pitch count and how he spends time in the clubhouse during weather delays.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway & Company for his weekly visit to discuss the latest Rangers news.
Play Podcast Reid Ryan joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss his new position with the Houston Astros and whether he could see his dad, Nolan, joining him there in the future.
Play Podcast ESPN MLB Insider Jayson Stark joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss if the Rangers are the best team in baseball, what makes them so good and if he thinks the team will trade Jurickson Profar.
Play Podcast Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss Ron Washington's decision to send Yu Darvish to the mound for the eighth inning Thursday night and how he would handle a situation like that if he were still a GM.
Play Podcast Randy Galloway, Matt Mosley and Glenn "Stretch" Smith discuss the latest Rangers news, including the Yu Darvish-Justin Verlander matchup.
- There are no games scheduled for today.