Injuries: Lance Berkman to run the bases
"It's not going to be Carl Lewis-esque," Berkman joked.
But as long as the 37-year-old and his surgically-repaired knees and sore calf can get around the bases, he'd be in position to play in a game soon.
"I'd like to play tomorrow, but I doubt they'll let me do that," Berkman said.
The veteran just wants to be sure he gets enough at-bats to feel ready for the season. And after two knee surgeries and just 32 games played in 2012, he wants as close to a "regular" spring as he can get. Of course, this spring is longer than a traditional "regular" spring and that gives Berkman some time to ease into things.
"If it drags on through the first or second week of March, I'd feel like it was in the zone where I'd consider it lost time," Berkman said.
But he doesn't expect that to happen. He's still hitting in the cages and taking grounders. The only thing, before Saturday, he hadn't done was participate in all of the running drills.
Other injury notes:
* RHP Kyle McClellan has what the club is terming "general soreness" in his right shoulder blade. He's scheduled to throw a bullpen on Sunday to see how he feels, but his last throwing session was skipped.
* RHP Tanner Scheppers has mild left hamstring soreness and knew about it (and told the club about it) before he pitched on Friday. He did not think it would be an issue, but just to be safe the team is going to give him some rest for a day or two.
* OF Engel Beltre has soreness in his left rhomboid and will not play in Saturday's game. The club does not believe it's serious.
* 3B Adrian Beltre (calf strain) said his calf feels better than it did five or seven days ago. He's hitting in the cages, but has yet to play in a game. "I don't need a lot of games to be ready," said Beltre, sounding like a veteran of spring training. Beltre said he thought the club might be targeting the end of next week to get him in games.
* RHP Joakim Soria (Tommy John) is scheduled to throw a 45-pitch bullpen on Monday.
* RHP Colby Lewis (flexor tendon surgery) is still throwing from 150 feet. He could pitch off a mound on March 1 or 2.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Rangers GM Jon Daniels joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to tackle the tough questions after his team failed to advance to the playoffs.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss having Nelson Cruz back in the lineup and how the Rangers are feeling heading into their wild-card play-in game against the Rays.
Play Podcast ESPN Insider and senior MLB analyst Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the wild-card race and the Rangers' chances of making the playoffs.
Play Podcast Chuck Cooperstein joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss why he feels Rangers pitcher Yu Darvish isn't an ace.
Play Podcast Elvis Andrus joins Galloway and Company to discuss the Rangers' stretch run and the morale level in their clubhouse.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss the latest Rangers news, including the team's struggles, Ron Washington's job security and a rumored trade with the Braves.
Play Podcast Ron Washington joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss the Rangers' dismal September, who's to blame for their September struggles and his status as the team's manager.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss how some people are calling for the Rangers to fire manager Ron Washington.