ARLINGTON, Texas -- The Rangers' win Saturday coupled with Tampa Bay's loss in Toronto means that for the first time this week, the Rangers control their own destiny. A win tomorrow guarantees them at least one more game in this 2013 season. They are tied with the Rays, one game back of the Indians. Here are the possible scenarios heading into Sunday:
* If the Rangers win Sunday and the Rays lose, the Rangers will be in the AL wild-card game on Wednesday. They would play the Indians in Cleveland on Wednesday at 7:07 p.m. CT on TBS/ESPN Dallas 103.3 FM.
* If the Rangers win, the Rays win and the Indians win, the Rangers and Rays would play on Monday to determine which team went to Cleveland for the wild-card game Wednesday. Since the Rangers won the season series with Tampa Bay, the game would be in Arlington at 7:07 p.m. CT on TBS/ESPN Dallas 103.3 FM.
* If the Rangers win, the Rays win and the Indians lose, there's a three-way tie for the wild card. That's where things get fun. Tampa would play the Indians in Cleveland on Monday. The winner would get one of the wild-card spots, while the loser would head to Texas to play the Rangers on Tuesday at 3:07 p.m. CT on TBS/ESPN Dallas 103.3 FM. The winner of that game would be the other wild-card team. If the Rangers end up playing Tampa Bay in Wednesday's wild-card game, it would be in Texas. If they play the Indians, it would be in Cleveland.
* If the Rangers lose and the Rays win, the Rangers are out of the playoffs and the Rays would play Cleveland in the wild-card game.
* If the Rangers lose and the Rays lose, the two teams would play on Monday in Arlington.
Make sense? Well, we'll know more Sunday. But the bottom line is a Rangers win means they will definitely be playing past Sunday. Cleveland's win over the Twins on Saturday guarantees that no matter what they do Sunday, they'll be playing another game, as well.