Contracts signed for Peterson-Holt

January, 10, 2013
1/10/13
5:53
PM ET
Lamont Peterson and Amir KhanAl Bello/Getty ImagesLamont Peterson returns to the ring for the first time since his split decision win against Amir Khan.

The deal between junior welterweight titlist Lamont Peterson and mandatory challenger Kendall Holt, which was agreed to last Friday, is now finalized with the contracts signed and submitted to the IBF, which is sanctioning the bout.

The fight is Feb. 22 on ESPN2’s “Friday Night Fights” and will take place at the Washington, D.C., Armory in Peterson's hometown.

Gary Shaw, Holt’s promoter, won the purse bid for the fight last month. The IBF requires contracts to be filed within a couple of weeks of the purse bid, but it gave Peterson manager/trainer and father figure Barry Hunter a few extra days to return the paperwork because of the recent death of his mother. Former titlist Holt (28-5, 16 KOs) already had filed his contract and Peterson’s was returned on Wednesday, according to Shaw.

The fight will be Peterson’s first since December 2011, when he won a controversial split decision against Amir Khan. Peterson (30-1-1, 15 KOs) later tested positive for a banned substance -- synthetic testosterone -- which forced the rematch in May to be canceled. He has not fought since.

Peterson looked in tremendous shape when I saw him train this week in Washington, although I got there just after he had sparred with Raymond Serrano (18-1, 8 KOs), who is getting ready for his fight with Emmanuel Taylor on Jan. 25 on Showtime’s “ShoBox.” Hunter said he has been training regularly since he began training for the aborted Khan rematch.

Hunter also told me that lightweight Anthony Peterson (31-1, 20 KOs), Lamont’s brother, would be on the Feb. 22 card. Anthony hasn’t fought since appearing on the Peterson-Khan undercard. Hunter said he had some nagging injuries that kept him sidelined.

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

You must be signed in to post a comment

Already have an account?