- Dan Rafael, Boxing
- 0 Shares
Notes and nuggets from the boxing world:
• The proposed middleweight bout between Detroit's J'Leon Love (15-0, 8 KOs), one of Floyd Mayweather's fighters, and Philadelphia's Gabriel Rosado (21-6, 13 KOs), who is coming off a game performance in a TKO loss to Gennady Golovkin in a January world title fight, is closer to being finalized. The sides are working through the paperwork for the bout, which, if finalized, will be part of the Mayweather-Robert Guerrero Showtime PPV card on May 4 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The fight is a big step up for Love.
• Welterweights Jesus Soto Karass (27-8-3, 17 KOs) of Mexico and Yoshihiro Kamegai (22-0-1, 19 KOs) of Japan will meet June 8 at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif., according to Golden Boy matchmaker Eric Gomez. The fight will be on the undercard of the Marcos Maidana-Josesito Lopez welterweight fight, which headlines a Showtime-televised tripleheader. The third fight isn't set yet, but the two fights that are set both figure to produce excellent action.
• Nice looking card Saturday night (Fox Deportes, 10 ET) in Cancun, Mexico as exciting welterweight Pablo Cesar Cano (25-2-1, 19 KOs) of Mexico returns to action for his first bout since dropping Paulie Malignaggi in the 11th round but losing a debatable split decision in a world title bout in October on the debut card at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y. Cano will face Manuel Perez (19-8-1, 4 KOs) of Denver in a scheduled 10-rounder. In the 10-round super middleweight co-feature, Mexico's Marco Antonio Periban (19-0, 12 KOs) faces Samuel Miller (25-6, 22 KOs) of Colombia.
Also on the card is former lightweight titlist Jorge Linares (32-3, 20 KOs), who is looking for a second win in a row after back-to-back knockout losses. Linares, of Venezuela, faces David Rodela (16-7-3, 7 KOs) of Oxnard, Calif., although their bout is not scheduled for the broadcast. Junior featherweight Joseph Diaz Jr. (2-0, 1 KO), a 2012 U.S. Olympian; featherweight Julian Ramirez (7-0, 5 KOs), the nephew of late junior lightweight champion Genaro Hernandez; and Alberto Guevara (16-1, 16 KOs), who gave Leo Santa Cruz a good go in a decision loss in a December bantamweight world title fight, are also in action.
• Promoter Lou DiBella has loaded his April 4 "Broadway Boxing" card at the Roseland Ballroom in New York with A-sides, although their opponents are not all set yet. Former junior middleweight titlist Yuri Foreman (29-2, 8 KOs) will have the second fight of his comeback after a nearly two-year layoff against Gundrick King (18-9, 11 KOs) in a six-rounder. Also on the card against an opponent to be determined is junior featherweight prospect Luis "Orlandito" Del Valle (16-1, 11 KOs) in his first fight since a decision loss to former junior bantamweight champ Vic Darchinyan in September. Longtime welterweight contender Jo Jo Dan (30-2, 17KOs) and popular New York junior welterweight Gabriel Bracero (21-1, 4 KOs) are also on the show. DiBella is once again working with promoter/entertainer Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson, who will have two of his fighters on the card, junior welterweights Luis Olivares (1-0, 1 KO) and Donte Strayhorn, who is first scheduled to make his pro debut on Saturday's Timothy Bradley Jr.-Ruslan Provodnikov undercard.
• Just for the record, the scoring of the Feb. 23 junior middleweight title bout between Cornelius "K9" Bundrage and Ishe Smith was incorrect when originally announced. Ring announcer Jimmy Lennon was given the wrong scores when he announced that Smith had won a title via split decision with scores of 116-111, 116-111 for Smith and 114-113 for Bundrage. However, upon recalculating the scorecards, judge Dave Hess' score for Bundrage had been inaccurately tabulated. In fact, Hess had the fight 114-114, making Smith a majority decision winner.
Notes and nuggets from the boxing world:• The proposed middleweight bout between Detroit's J'Leon Love (15-0, 8 KOs), one of Floyd Mayweather's fighters, and Philadelphia's Gabriel Rosado (21-6, 13 KOs), who is coming off a game performance in a TKO loss to Gennady Golovkin in a January world title fight, is closer to being finalized.