Phoenix tour stop cancelled

July, 2, 2013
7/02/13
10:09
AM ET
Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Canelo Alvarez will wrap up their nine-day two-country media tour on Tuesday, but one of the final two scheduled stops was canceled on Monday.

The 154-pound champions, promoting their fight on Sept. 14 (Showtime PPV) at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, were due to make the 10th stop on their 11-city tour on Tuesday morning at the Herberger Theater Center in Phoenix. However, organizers canceled the event in the wake of the devastating Arizona wildfire that killed 19 firefighters.

The news conference, which was to be open to the public, as each of the stops on the tour has been, was cancelled out of respect for the firefighters who lost their lives battling wildfires Sunday in areas northwest of Phoenix.

Golden Boy Promotions said that a donation will be made on behalf of the promotion to The 100 Club's Survivor Fund in memory of the Granite Mountain Hotshots, a specialist team of wildfire firefighters based in Prescott, Ariz., whose members died during the blaze. The 100 Club's Survivor Fund's mission is "to provide immediate financial assistance to families of public safety officers and firefighters who are seriously injured or killed in the line of duty," Golden Boy said.

The tour, which began last week in New York, will conclude on Tuesday with a final stop at Nokia Plaza L.A. Live in Los Angeles at 7:30 p.m. PT.

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

You must be signed in to post a comment

Already have an account?