- Dan Rafael, ESPN Senior Writer
- 0 Shares
Sanctioning organizations have called for four purse bids for various title bouts:
• Light heavyweight champion Adonis Stevenson, who won the world title on a one-punch knockout in just 76 seconds against Chad Dawson on June 8, has been ordered to face mandatory challenger Tony Bellew. A purse bid is slated for July 26 if Stevenson promoter Yvon Michel and Bellew promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Sport don't make a deal.
However, Stevenson has requested an interim bout against former titlist Tavoris Cloud, which Michel is negotiating with Cloud promoter Don King and HBO, which would air the fight in the fall from Montreal, where Quebec's Stevenson is a growing draw. The WBC is willing to grant the exception to Stevenson as long as he and Cloud agree for the winner of their proposed fight to face England's Bellew within 90 days after.
Bellew became the mandatory challenger by outpointing Isaac Chilemba on May 25 in London in a rematch of their draw.
• Lightweight titlist Miguel Vazquez of Mexico and mandatory challenger Ammeth Diaz of Panama are headed for a July 16 purse bid at IBF headquarters in Springfield, N.J., for their bout unless the sides make a deal. Vazquez has made five title defenses, but he has a boring style and the fight with Diaz would be a rematch of their January 2012 snoozer, which Vazquez won by virtual shutout -- 120-107, 120-107 and 119-108. Since losing to Vazquez, Diaz has won both of his fights, including a seventh-round knockout of Martin Gethin in England on May 31 in a final eliminator to set up the rematch.
• Interim junior featherweight titlist Scott Quigg of England has been ordered to face Miami-based Cuban Yoandris Salinas for a vacant full title. The purse bid is scheduled for July 15 at the WBA offices in Marbella, Panama. Registered promoters are eligible to bid, but the minimum offer is $120,000. Each boxer is due to receive 50 percent of the money from the winning bid, and the bout is supposed to take place within 90 days of the bid.
• Flyweight titlist Moruti Mthalane of South Africa is due to make his fifth defense when he faces mandatory challenger Silvio Olyeanu, the European champion, of Spain. An IBF purse bid is scheduled for July 18 in the event the sides don't work out an agreement.