Wilder, Santa Cruz bouts in works

September, 19, 2013
9/19/13
12:24
PM ET
Heavyweight Deontay Wilder and newly crowned junior featherweight titlist Leo Santa Cruz are both coming off impressive victories in which they barely broke a sweat, so both likely will be back in action in the coming weeks.

Wilder (29-0, 29 KOs), the 2008 U.S. Olympic bronze medalist and huge right-handed puncher, smashed former titleholder Sergei Liakhovich on Aug. 9, drilling him in the first round.

Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer told me Wednesday night that Wilder probably will return Oct. 26 to fight on the Showtime undercard of light heavyweight titlist Bernard Hopkins’ mandatory defense against Karo Murat at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J.

Schaefer said he was talking with Showtime boxing boss Stephen Espinoza about expanding the card to a tripleheader to include Wilder in the televised opener. Middleweight titlist “Kid Chocolate” Peter Quillin defends against Gabriel Rosado in the co-feature.

Schaefer said there was no opponent yet for Wilder.

Santa Cruz (25-0-1, 15 KOs) vacated his bantamweight title earlier this year. In his second fight at junior featherweight, he knocked out Victor Terrazas in the third round to win another title on Aug. 24.

Schaefer said Santa Cruz will make his first defense (no opponent yet) Nov. 2 on a Showtime card. He said, depending on what the rest of the card looks like, the fight probably would take place at either the StubHub Center in Carson, Calif. (where Santa Cruz won his title in August) or in San Antonio.

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.