- Dan Rafael, ESPN Senior Writer
- 0 Shares
Golden Boy Promotions has its big shows coming up, including Bernard Hopkins-Beibut Shumenov on April 19 and Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Marcos Maidana on May 3, but it also has its share of smaller cards with solid matchups and prospect showcases on tap, as well.
The promotion has announced four April cards that will air on its "Golden Boy Live" series (Fox Sports 1).
• April 3: At the Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indio, Calif., unbeaten Cuban southpaw heavyweight Luis Ortiz (20-0, 17 KOs) -- who is on the verge of fighting for a belt -- will face long-faded former title challenger Monte Barrett (35-10-2, 20 KOs) of New York, who hasn't fought since a fourth-round knockout loss to Shane Cameron in 2012, in a 10-rouner. In the co-feature, Vallejo, Calif., heavyweight Gerald Washington (11-0, 8 KOs) meets Houston's Skipp Scott (16-1, 10 KOs). In other fights, 2012 U.S. Olympic heavyweight Dominic Breazeale (9-0, 9 KOs) meets Nagy Aguilera (19-7, 13 KOs). Junior featherweight prospect Diego De La Hoya (3-0, 3 KOs), the 19-year-old cousin of Oscar De La Hoya, will also be on the card, in a six-rounder.
• April 14: At the UIC Pavilion in Chicago, junior lightweight Ronny Rios (22-0, 10 KOs), a former amateur standout from Santa Ana, Calif., will face Andrew Cancio (15-2-2, 11 KOs) of Blythe, Calif., in a scheduled 10-rounder.
• April 18: At the Illusions Theater at the Alamodome in San Antonio, welterweights Alan Sanchez (12-3-1, 6 KOs) of Fairfield, Calif., and Jorge Silva (19-5-2, 15 KOs) of Mexico, two action fighters, will meet in the scheduled 10-round main event. The card also will include blue-chip welterweight prospect Errol Spence Jr. (11-0, 9 KOs), a 2012 U.S. Olympian, against an opponent to be determined. Also on the undercard is Ann Wolfe-trained 18-year-old welterweight prospect Travell Mazion (7-0, 7 KOs).
• April 28: At the Coliseo Ruben Rodriguez in Bayamon, Puerto Rico -- the same arena where junior welterweight champ Danny Garcia faced Mauricio Herrera last weekend -- junior welterweight Michael Perez (19-1-2, 10 KOs), a Puerto Rican from Newark, N.J., will face Mexico’s Jorge Romero (24-8-, 21 KOs) in a scheduled 10-rounder. In the co-feature, 2008 Puerto Rican Olympian McJoe Arroyo (13-0, 7 KOs) faces Ezequiel Aquino (15-0-1, 10 KOs) of the Dominican Republic in a junior bantamweight world title elimination fight.