<
>

Steve Nash says he'll be ready for camp

6/27/2013

NEW YORK -- Steve Nash is not yet 100 percent healthy, but the 39-year-old point guard is confident he will be at full health for the start of training camp with the Los Angeles Lakers.

"I'll be fine," Nash said Wednesday after playing in his foundation's annual celebrity soccer game. "It's just going to take me another few weeks to get back to 100 percent and then I'll train like usual for the season."

Nash, who suffered through a fractured fibula and right hamstring and hip injuries last season, says he does not think he will need to play on a minutes limit next season. Lakers trainer Gary Vitti recently suggested in an interview with Lakers.com that Nash could benefit from a minutes limit.

Nash also addressed Dwight Howard's future on Wednesday. The Lakers hope to resign the free agent center this summer. They made their intentions clear to the world on Wednesday when they unveiled a billboard in Los Angeles to publicly court Howard.

Nash smiled when a reporter mentioned the Howard billboard.

"We love Dwight," Nash said. "We were just scratching the surface last year with all the injuries (and) we think we can really form something special after having a year under our belt and going through a training camp together."

Nash says he's also confident Howard can thrive under coach Mike D'Antoni. Howard complained at times last season about his role in D'Antoni's offense.

"He played Mike's offense pretty much in Orlando so if he (felt comfortable) in Orlando, I think we can make it work (in Los Angeles)," Nash said. "We need to surround him with some shooters, but I think he'll be great in it."