Around the NFC West: Awards stacking up
January, 4, 2013
By Mike Sando | ESPN.com
Just realized I made it through Thursday without acknowledging Russell Wilson's selection as the NFL's offensive rookie of the month for December. We had an item on the punter of the year, but not on the rookie of the month.
Punters steal all the headlines.
Wilson and the Seattle Seahawks went 5-0 in December. Two of those five games featured game-winning drives in fourth quarters or overtime. Wilson posted a triple-digit passer rating in four of those games. He ranked second to Peyton Manning and ahead of Aaron Rodgers in Total QBR for the time period in question (Week 13 forward).
Wilson joins nine-time Pro Bowl choice Walter Jones as the only Seahawks to win offensive rookie of the month honors from the NFL.
Recapping NFC West honors to this point in the season:
- Week 2: Arizona's Calais Campbell wins defensive honors.
- Week 3: Arizona's Larry Fitzgerald wins offensive honors while Seattle's Chris Clemons wins defensive honors.
- Week 4: San Francisco's Patrick Willis (defense) and St. Louis' Greg Zuerlein (special teams) win honors.
- Week 5: St. Louis' Johnny Hekker wins special-teams honors.
- Week 7: San Francisco's Andy Lee wins special-teams honors.
- Week 8: San Francisco's Alex Smith wins offensive honors.
- Week 10: Seattle's Richard Sherman wins defensive honors.
- Week 11: San Francisco's Aldon Smith wins defensive honors.
- Week 12: St. Louis' Janoris Jenkins wins defensive honors and Seattle's Leon Washington wins special-teams honors.
- Week 13: St. Louis' Zuerlein (special teams) and Seattle's Wilson (offense) win honors.
- Week 15: San Francisco's Colin Kaepernick wins offensive honors.
- Week 16: Seattle's Red Bryant wins special-teams honors.