Did you know? Notre Dame at Purdue
September, 13, 2013
By Matt Fortuna | ESPN.com
As always, thanks to ESPN Stats & Info, along with sports information departments, for these tidbits:
- Notre Dame and Purdue have met annually since 1946 and the 84 all-time meetings are the most for the Irish against any current Big Ten school (Michigan State is second with 76). Notre Dame has won five straight and seven of the last eight meetings between schools overall (last loss was in 2007).
- Purdue has lost four straight games against AP-ranked opponents since knocking off No. 23 Illinois in 2011. Purdue is seeking its first win against an AP-ranked Notre Dame team since 1999.
- After losing to Cincinnati in his debut, Darrell Hazell earned his first win as head coach last week against Indiana State. Over the last 40 years, only Joe Tiller (2-1 in 1997) started at least 2-1 in his first season as Purdue head coach. Purdue finished that season 9-3 including a win over Oklahoma State in the Alamo Bowl.
- Notre Dame lost last weekend at No. 17 Michigan. The Irish haven’t lost back-to-back games since the final two games of 2011, and they haven’t lost consecutive road games in a single season since Charlie Weis’ final year as head coach in 2009.
- The Irish have already allowed 47 points and six touchdowns through two games in 2013. Last season, Notre Dame didn’t allow 47 total points until its sixth game of the year (vs. Stanford) and it didn’t allow its sixth touchdown until its eighth game of the year (at Oklahoma).
- Notre Dame did not allow a rushing touchdown until Week 9 last season and entered the BCS National Championship having conceded two rushing touchdowns in 33 red-zone trips. Since then, the Fighting Irish have allowed four rushing touchdowns in nine red-zone drives, including a 2-yard touchdown by Devin Gardner in Week 2.
- Notre Dame QB Tommy Rees threw a pair of costly interceptions last week against Michigan, his seventh career multi-interception game. The good news? Rees has an 11-3 TD-INT ratio in the games following his six previous multi-INT contests and Notre Dame has won five of those six games.
Notre Dame Class Jumps Into Top 10
FBS INDEP. SCOREBOARD
2:00 PM ET Washington State Colorado State 3:30 PM ET 20 Fresno State 25 USC 5:30 PM ET Buffalo San Diego State 9:00 PM ET Tulane Louisiana-Lafayette
6:00 PM ET Pittsburgh Bowling Green 9:30 PM ET Utah State 23 Northern Illinois
2:30 PM ET Marshall Maryland 6:00 PM ET Syracuse Minnesota 9:30 PM ET Brigham Young Washington
12:00 PM ET Rutgers Notre Dame 3:20 PM ET Cincinnati North Carolina 6:45 PM ET Miami (FL) 18 Louisville 10:15 PM ET Michigan Kansas State
11:45 AM ET Middle Tennessee Navy 3:15 PM ET Ole Miss Georgia Tech 6:45 PM ET 10 Oregon Texas 10:15 PM ET 14 Arizona State Texas Tech
12:30 PM ET Arizona Boston College 2:00 PM ET Virginia Tech 17 UCLA 4:00 PM ET Rice Mississippi State 8:00 PM ET 24 Duke 21 Texas A&M
12:00 PM ET Nebraska 22 Georgia 12:00 PM ET UNLV North Texas 1:00 PM ET Iowa 16 LSU 1:00 PM ET 19 Wisconsin 9 South Carolina 5:00 PM ET 5 Stanford 4 Michigan State 8:30 PM ET 15 UCF 6 Baylor
7:30 PM ET 13 Oklahoma State 8 Missouri 8:30 PM ET 12 Clemson 7 Ohio State