SEC's lunchtime links
September, 3, 2013
By Greg Ostendorf | ESPN.com
The first week of the season is behind us. It went better for some SEC teams than others, but everybody now has to begin preparing for Week 2. Here's a look around the SEC to see what teams are doing to get ready.
- Alabama has a bye week before its showdown with Texas A&M. The Crimson Tide plan to spend the extra time working on fundamentals.
- In his first start, Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall played conservatively but impressed the coaches with his decision-making. Now, the Tigers plan to open it up for him.
- With all the talk around Johnny Manziel after Saturday’s game, Texas A&M backup quarterback Matt Joeckel answered the call in the first half.
- South Carolina's Mike Davis brings big-play potential to the Gamecocks' rushing attack.
- Mack Brown had a breakout performance at running back, starter Matt Jones should be back soon and Florida head coach Will Muschamp has been pleased with the progress of freshman Kelvin Taylor.
- With Jeremy Hill out, LSU turned to running back Alfred Blue against TCU. He looked effective but tentative in his return to the Tigers.
- Ole Miss is moving on after two starters went down with injuries in the first game.
- Vanderbilt's Jordan Matthews was throwing up after a big hit in the season opener, but he still came back into the game. Head coach James Franklin cleared the air on Matthews’ return.
- Tennessee scored 42 points in the first half against Austin Peay, but Butch Jones wants ‘splash’ plays from the offense going forward.
- After missing all of last season and part of the season before with a serious knee injury, Missouri running back Henry Josey is back and better than ever for the Tigers.
12:00 PM ET Troy 13 Georgia 3:30 PM ET 6 Texas A&M SMU 3:30 PM ET Florida 3 Alabama 4:00 PM ET Indiana 18 Missouri 7:00 PM ET Northern Illinois Arkansas 7:00 PM ET Mississippi State 8 LSU 7:30 PM ET 14 South Carolina Vanderbilt