SEC players of the week
September, 16, 2013
By Edward Aschoff | ESPN.com
Here are the SEC players of the week as announced by the league Monday:
OFFENSIVE: AJ McCarron, QB, Alabama
OFFENSIVE: AJ McCarron, QB, Alabama
- Completed 20 of 29 passes for a career-high 334 yards with four touchdowns, which tied a career-best for McCarron. His 5-yard pass to Jalston Fowler with 2:28 to play put Alabama up 49-35 and proved to be game-winner.
- He had touchdown passes of 22, 44 and 51 yards.
- He's now second all time at Alabama for passing yardage (passing Brodie Croyle) with 6,400 yards.
- Led LSU with eight tackles, including 1.5 tackles for loss and a sack, in the 45-13 win over Kent State. The eight tackles set a career-high for the first-year starter.
- Anchored an LSU defense that held Kent State to just 58 rushing yards and 248 total yards.
- LSU held Kent State to 4 of 14 on third-down conversions and just 1.8 yards per rush.
- Returned a punt 73 yards for a touchdown in Ole Miss' 44-23 victory at Texas.
- Finished with a career-high 243 all-purpose yards, including a career-high 164 rushing yards and another touchdown.
- The punt return score marked the second of his career.
- He moved into fourth on the school’s all-purpose yardage list with 3,421 yards.
- Rushed 25 times for 115 yards and one touchdown in 24-3 win over Southern Miss.
- First freshman in SEC history and first true freshman in NCAA since Adrian Peterson in 2004 to begin career with three consecutive 100-yard rushing games.
- His touchdown capped a 14-play, 81-yard drive in the fourth quarter that featured eight rushes for 38 yards, an average of 4.8 yards per carry.
- He leads the SEC and ranks fourth nationally with 418 rushing yards this season, and his average of 139.9 rushing yards per game is second in the SEC and eighth nationally.
- Making his second consecutive start for the injured Cody Waldrop, Stadnik graded out at 82 percent, playing all 87 snaps at center in the 35-25 win over Vanderbilt.
- The Gamecock offensive line did not give up a quarterback sack or quarterback hurry while rolling up 579 yards of offense, the second-highest total in the Steve Spurrier era.
- Recorded career-high three sacks as part of five-tackle performance with two quarterback hurries in Arkansas' win over Southern Miss.
- Had two sacks on Southern Miss’ final drive of the second quarter with Golden Eagles at midfield to preserve a seven-point Arkansas lead going into halftime.
- His three sacks tied for highest single-game output this season.
11:00 AM ET Nevada Louisiana-Lafayette 2:20 PM ET Utah State UTEP 3:30 PM ET 22 Utah Colorado State 5:45 PM ET Western Michigan Air Force 9:15 PM ET South Alabama Bowling Green
6:00 PM ET Marshall Northern Illinois 9:30 PM ET Navy San Diego State
12:00 PM ET Central Michigan Western Kentucky 8:00 PM ET Fresno State Rice
1:00 PM ET Illinois Louisiana Tech 4:30 PM ET Rutgers North Carolina 8:00 PM ET North Carolina State UCF
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State