SEC lunchtime links
October, 29, 2013
By Greg Ostendorf | ESPN.com
As Arkansas and Auburn continue to dispute over game tape, let’s take a look at the latest storylines and injury news in today’s headlines from around the SEC.
- A number of Alabama players, including quarterback AJ McCarron, took offense to being called the ‘red team’ by Tennessee before last Saturday’s game. However, Vols’ coach Butch Jones said the comments were made ‘out of respect’ for the Crimson Tide.
- A lot of blame was placed on Missouri kicker Andrew Baggett for Saturday's loss, but he took the high road after missing a costly kick in double overtime.
- Arkansas coach Bret Bielema called out Auburn this week, reporting a discrepancy between the Tigers’ game tapes and the TV tape of Saturday’s game against Florida Atlantic.
- Arkansas and Auburn coaches are downplaying Gus Malzahn’s return to Arkansas, the state where he spent a better part of three decades.
- LSU is off this week, giving the coaches a chance to make their recruiting rounds through the state of Florida.
- Connor Shaw was the hero for South Carolina on Saturday, but wide receiver Bruce Ellington played a key role in the Gamecocks' dramatic win over Missouri.
- Georgia has been decimated by injuries this season, but star tailback Todd Gurley returned to practice on Monday.
- Tennessee's Justin Worley is questionable for Saturday’s Missouri game with a thumb injury, leaving freshman Josh Dobbs as the favorite to start at quarterback.
- Ole Miss is just one win away from bowl eligibility, but the team goals go beyond getting that sixth win. The Rebels want to play in a more prominent bowl game.
- Meanwhile, Mississippi State has a tough slate ahead of it in the month of November.
Final Eastern Kentucky 3 Florida 52 Final Charleston Southern 9 10 Georgia 55 Final South Alabama 12 South Carolina 37 Final 8 Ole Miss 0 Arkansas 30 Final Western Carolina 14 1 Alabama 48 Final Samford 7 14 Auburn 31 Final 20 Missouri 29 Tennessee 21 Final Vanderbilt 0 4 Mississippi State 51