SEC lunchtime links
February, 24, 2014
By Alex Scarborough | ESPN.com
Forty-yard dash times and bench-press figures. Measuring height and weight down to the seventh of an inch. It's the annual meat-market bonanza known as the NFL combine and it came to you fast and furious throughout the weekend. When you're done scrolling through the day's SEC links, be sure to check out the rest of ESPN's NFL draft coverage at our combine headquarters.
- AJ McCarron threw the ball well, Kevin Norwood ran better than expected and Cyrus Kouandjio failed to impress while also leaving with medical concerns. Alabama sent the most representatives to the combine and, as always, there were mixed returns from the top stars.
- Auburn sent a small contingent of players to the combine, but they made an impression. Tre Mason put up a 4.5-second 40-yard dash and Dee Ford made waves by declaring he's better than Jadeveon Clowney.
- Bret Bielema said in a released statement that his remarks on a recently deceased Cal football player, as it relates to the hurry-up no-huddle debate, were "unintentionally hurtful."
- Mark Richt went all of 2013 without a recruiting coordinator on staff. In speaking with the AJC, Richt explained why now is the right time for the Bulldogs to bring back someone for the coveted position.
- Former LSU wideout Jarvis Landry didn't do himself any favors when he clocked the slowest 40-yard dash time of any receiver at the combine. Given his highlight reel tape in college and the chance to improve his time at LSU's pro day, Landry might not be in too deep a hole, though.
- Former South Carolina cornerback Vic Hampton can't figure out why the NFL is sleeping on his quarterback, Connor Shaw. Asked why people are doubting Shaw's ability to translate to the pros, Hampton shot back, "Why?" and then explained that Shaw was "the toughest quarterback in the SEC" and a "winner."
- With spring football right around the corner, David Morrison ranked the size of each SEC program's rebuilding job for this coming season.
- Johnny Manziel's throwing coach George Whitfield has a bit of advice for NFL franchises concerning his client: "Don't lose sight of what and who he is. The dude's a world-beater."
- Student attendance has become a concern for Florida. Losing, obviously, could have contributed to the empty seats inside The Swamp, but that doesn't mean the Gators administration isn't looking into it.
- The plans for a stadium expansion at Ole Miss could come into view soon as the school has hired an architect to devise a plan that should culminate in a face lift and more seats at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium.
- Anyone who watched Missouri last season knew that Henry Josey could fly. The former Tigers' running back proved it at the NFL combine, running the third-best time in the 40-yard dash at 4.43 seconds, greatly helping himself in the process.
12:00 PM ET Troy 13 Georgia 3:30 PM ET 6 Texas A&M SMU 3:30 PM ET Florida 3 Alabama 4:00 PM ET Indiana 18 Missouri 7:00 PM ET Northern Illinois Arkansas 7:00 PM ET Mississippi State 8 LSU 7:30 PM ET 14 South Carolina Vanderbilt