SEC lunchtime links
July, 7, 2014
By David Ching | ESPN.com
Did you know today is Satchel Paige's 108th birthday? (Or 107th. Or 109th. Nobody's exactly sure.) Not sure how much the native Alabamian knew about college football, but his most famous quote might be good advice for defending SEC champion Auburn once the season begins: “Don't look back; something might be gaining on you.”
- You know college football season is fast approaching when the various award watch lists begin appearing. Today is the day for two of the major players -- the Bednarik and Maxwell awards -- with a couple more set to follow this week. The National College Football Awards Association will update its watch list page as the various lists emerge.
- The Manning Passing Academy will be held later this week in Louisiana. As multiple former participants prove, the camp is often a place where quarterback stars are born.
- Thanks to his innovative methods, strength coach Pat Ivey has become one of the most indispensable members of Gary Pinkel's support staff at Missouri.
- As of Sunday evening, Tennessee coach Butch Jones was awaiting further details on the extent of the injuries that freshman lineman Charles Mosley suffered in a car accident earlier in the day.
- LSU wide receiver Luke Boyd is no ordinary walk-on. The 27-year-old is also an active-duty Marine who did a tour in Afghanistan and who last week was promoted from sergeant to staff sergeant.
- The Jackson Clarion-Ledger's Riley Blevins writes that speed is changing the way recruiters look at high school football prospects.
- With less than a month to go before the start of preseason practice, Florida's equipment room is already buzzing with activity.
- Georgia receiver Chris Conley finally released his much-discussed "Star Wars" fan film over the weekend.
- In listing 25 of the most important figures in Alabama's 2014 season, AL.com's Andrew Gribble focused today on two of the most obvious: talented tailbacks T.J. Yeldon and Derrick Henry.
- The Tennessean's David Climer wrote over the weekend that Tennessee's quarterback problem still lacks a solution, with no proven options on the Volunteers' roster.
- Marcus Walker has already decommitted from Kentucky once but says the Wildcats still remain high on his list.
- South Carolina and Clemson running back target A.J. Turner is among the prospects who might make an announcement on their college decisions this week at The Opening. Turner has said he will announce on Tuesday.
Final Eastern Kentucky 3 Florida 52 Final Charleston Southern 9 10 Georgia 55 Final South Alabama 12 South Carolina 37 Final 8 Ole Miss 0 Arkansas 30 Final Western Carolina 14 1 Alabama 48 Final Samford 7 14 Auburn 31 Final 20 Missouri 29 Tennessee 21 Final Vanderbilt 0 4 Mississippi State 51