SEC lunchtime links
July, 25, 2014
By Edward Aschoff | ESPN.com
So a man by the name of Richard Malzahn was one of the visual effects supervisor for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III. Please, please, please tell me there's some relation to Gus Malzahn!
- Brandon Marcello of AL.com wonders if a Nick Marshall suspension would actually hurt Auburn this fall.
- When I was little, people said my batting stance and swing made me look exactly like Frank Thomas when I stepped into the batter's box. Too bad my body never grew like Thomas' did. The super athlete that he was, Thomas actually played some football at Auburn, but he'll be inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame on Sunday.
- Alabama players are saying that freshmen cornerbacks Tony Brown and Marlon Humphrey "want to be somebody great" for the Crimson Tide.
- So big, bad Nick Saban was once afraid of ... Santa Claus. He also said "Roll Tide" and took a selfie with Colin Cowherd during a "Cage Confessional" -- so my mind is officially blown.
- LSU freshman running back Leonard Fournette became the first high schooler to win the Corbett Award for amateurs. The award is given to Louisiana's most outstanding male amateur athlete for the past year.
- LSU freshman defensive tackle Trey Lealaimatafao has been released from the hospital and will begin rehab after he punched through a window Monday.
- Despite losing Connor Shaw, Jadeveon Clowney and Bruce Ellington, South Carolina could still have a better year in 2014.
- As Tennessee looks to completely rebuild its defensive line, expect freshmen to factor into the mix up front.
- Kentucky defensive end Alvin "Bud" Dupree says he's ready for a "freak" season in 2014.
- Another talented group is expected at Florida's annual "Friday Night Lights" camp.
- Pat Dooley of The Gainesville Sun writes that we still aren't sure if new Florida offensive coordinator Kurt Roper will have full reign over the Gators' offense.
- Mississippi State adds three-star athlete Mark McLaurin to its 2015 recruiting class.
- Seth Emerson of The Macon Telegram has a preseason primer for Georgia's offensive line.
- Why was Bob Stoops gigging Texas A&M and his old pal Kevin Sumlin earlier this week?
1:00 PM ET Illinois Louisiana Tech 4:30 PM ET Rutgers North Carolina 8:00 PM ET North Carolina State UCF
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49 Final Fresno State 6 Rice 30
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State