Red Sox staying cautious with Cameron

Updated: May 19, 2010, 3:00 PM ET
By Gordon Edes | ESPNBoston.com

NEW YORK -- Boston Red Sox manager Terry Francona indicated Tuesday night that outfielder Mike Cameronmight need an additional few games before being activated off the disabled list.

The manager said that Cameron worked out vigorously Tuesday in Fenway Park and had been scheduled to play for Double-A Portland on Wednesday, but said in an interview on Boston sports radio station WEEI on Wednesday afternoon that due to weather Cameron would instead play again Thursday.

Both he and left fielder Jacoby Ellsbury are slated to be at Fenway Park on Wednesday night and will play for the Sea Dogs on Thursday.

The club wants to make sure Cameron is over the soreness stemming from his abdominal tear before he is activated.

Cameron's agent, Mike Nicotera, said it was premature to speculate on how much the injury will bother the 37-year-old outfielder the rest of the season. Cameron had told the Providence Journal last week while at Pawtucket that he expected he would require offseason surgery; Francona said the club was hopeful he would be able to avoid surgery.

"It's certainly too early, and frankly makes no sense, to speculate about the length of Mike's discomfort,'' Nicotera wrote in an e-mail. "He is optimistic that he will be back helping the club soon.''

Ellsbury, meanwhile, went 0-for-3 with a walk in Portland's 2-1 win Tuesday night in his second game of a rehab stint and will be re-evaluated in Boston on Wednesday. He has been out since April 11 with a hairline fracture to four of his ribs.

Gordon Edes covers the Red Sox for ESPNBoston.com. Follow him on Twitter.

Gordon Edes

Red Sox reporter, ESPNBoston.com

SPONSORED HEADLINES

EDITORS' PICKS

ALSO SEE

MORE MLB HEADLINES