Atchison recalled; Cameron nears return
The moves were announced before Monday night's game against Tampa Bay.
More On The Red Sox
Gordon Edes and the rest of the ESPNBoston.com team have the Red Sox covered for you. Blog
Boston manager Terry Francona also said center fielder Mike Cameron, out since April 19 because of a lower abdominal strain, will be reinstated from the 15-day disabled list on Tuesday.
To make room for Cameron, Boston designated outfielder Darnell McDonald for assignment after beating the Rays 6-1. Francona thinks it's likely McDonald, who hit .263 with three homers and 11 RBIs in 31 games, will get claimed on waivers by another team.
Cameron played in a combined eight minor league rehab games with Pawtucket and Double-A Trenton, going 9 for 27 with three homers and six RBIs.
Right-hander Josh Beckett, out with a strained lower back, will have one more "aggressive" throwing session on level ground before working off a bullpen mound, according to Francona.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
- Spending Slump
- The Patriots have spent in free agency, but they haven't spent wisely.
- Starting Strong
- Red Sox lefty Jon Lester looked like an ace in his first start of the spring.
- Strength In Numbers
- Authorities have announced major security measures for this year's Boston Marathon.
- Right Direction
- As his confidence grows, rookie Kelly Olynyk keeps getting better.
- Reasonable Doubt?
- How a conspiracy of silence and a vanished gun have complicated the case.
- 5th & Ocean Women's Boston Red Sox Navy/Red V-Neck Raglan T-Shirt
MORE MLB HEADLINES