- Joe McDonald, Reporter, ESPNBoston.com
- 0 Shares
BOSTON -- A Red Sox source ruled out any possibility of Mike Lowell going to the Los Angeles Angels in the wake of first baseman Kendry Morales going down with a broken ankle suffered while celebrating a walk-off grand slam over the weekend.
While the Angels are not a possible destination, it does appear the Red Sox are listening to Lowell's request to try to move him. A baseball source with knowledge of the situation told ESPNBoston.com that there are a number of clubs that have contacted the Red Sox about the possibility of acquiring Lowell, including the Chicago White Sox, Seattle Mariners and Texas Rangers.
The source also indicated that nothing is imminent.
Lowell is hitting .239 with one home run and 10 RBIs in limited action for the Red Sox. He has just four at-bats since May 23.
As David Ortiz heated up last month, Lowell told reporters in mid-May he thought it might be best for the team to just release him.
"I literally eat up a roster spot," he said. "I literally do. That's the way it is. ...
"The first baseman [Kevin Youkilis] and the third baseman [Adrian Beltre], they're two Gold Glovers. They never get batted for. I refuse to wish injuries to good players. That's so [expletive] terrible. I want to get playing time on my own.
"It's not good or bad, it's just reality. It's almost verbatim what I said in spring training. I'm not mad about my life. I'm just mad about the fact I put in a lot of work in the offseason to get where I am, and I'm not playing."
Joe McDonald covers the Red Sox and Bruins for ESPNBoston.com. Follow him on Twitter. Gordon Edes contributed to this report.
Mike Lowell being eyed by several teams, according to a Red Sox source.