Beltre says he's good to go
ANAHEIM, Calif. -- He's in.
After some confusion over whether Adrian Beltre would play in Tuesday's All-Star Game, the Red Sox third baseman said Monday night that he feels good and will play.
Beltre showed up here assuming, he said, that he would play in the All-Star Game, though the final determination wasn't made until Monday's All-Star workout, where he tested the left hamstring he tweaked Sunday in Toronto.
Beltre was unaware that New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi, responding to a question at the press conference announcing the All-Star starting lineups Monday morning, had said that Beltre was out of the game, to be replaced by Michael Young of the Texas Rangers. Beltre didn't know until a reporter told him at the players' interview session which followed shortly after the press conference.
The announcement led to a quick huddle between Beltre's agent, Scott Boras, MLB vice president Phyllis Merhige and the player, who returned to the podium where he was sitting and said that he might play after all.
"They announced it without telling me," Beltre said. "I'm think I'm going to play and I'm going to be on the active roster."
MLB backed that up.
"Beltre is eligible to play,'' said Merhige, MLB's senior vice president of public relations. "The report about Michael Young appears to be premature. I really don't know what happened.
"Beltre is going to see how he feels and then we're going to make a decision. I'll talk to Michael Young when I get back to try to put a lid on it. He's in Texas.''
If Beltre had decided he couldn't go, Young could have gone to Anaheim, Merhige said.
"The important thing to understand is Adrian Beltre was the players' choice at third base,'' Merhige said before Beltre confirmed he was set. "Michael Young is next on the list, so if he can't play Michael Young is the guy. "The replacement announcement was a little premature. It may have been my miscommunication with Joe Girardi, which I feel badly about.''
Three Red Sox All-Stars are already out of the game with injuries. Dustin Pedroia (foot), Victor Martinez (thumb) and Clay Buchholz (hamstring) are in Anaheim but won't play. David Ortiz, Jon Lester and Beltre will represent Boston in the game.
Gordon Edes covers the Red Sox for ESPNBoston.com. Follow him on Twitter.
- Dropping Into Place
- Rajon Rondo surpassed Bill Russell in career assists as the C's outran the Pistons.
- Buch Stops Bucs
- Clay Buchholz had full command of his repertoire as the Sox beat the Pirates.
- Sweeping Sunshine State
- The B's outlasted Tampa on Sat. and finished a season sweep of Florida Sunday.
- Regroup Project
- As March Madness heats up, where does UMass and other local teams stand?
- Taking Inventory
- The Patriots have been quiet so far in free agency's legal tampering period.
- Extended Sizes - Majestic Men's Authentic Texas Rangers Adrian Beltre #29 Cool Base Road Grey Jersey
MORE MLB HEADLINES