BOSTON -- The Red Sox are about to get one of their injured stars back.
Boston manager Terry Francona said Saturday that All-Star pitcher Clay Buchholz, on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring, will start Wednesday in Oakland.
More On The Red Sox
Gordon Edes and the rest of the ESPNBoston.com team have the Red Sox covered for you. Blog
Buchholz, who is 10-4 with a 2.45 ERA in 15 starts this season, was hurt running the bases in San Francisco on June 26. He went to the All-Star game Tuesday, but was unavailable to pitch.
The right-hander tossed 3 2/3 innings in a rehab start for Triple-A Pawtucket at Syracuse on Friday.
"Being out for three weeks, getting back on the mound felt good," Buchholz said Saturday. "I felt like I got my velocity back. That's what I went out there to do."
The Red Sox activated reliever Manny Delcarmen from the 15-day DL in time for Saturday's game against Texas. He was sidelined with a strained right forearm before a rehab outing with Double-A Portland on Thursday.
In addition to Delcarmen's return, the Red Sox added depth to their weakened catching corps, recalling Dusty Brown from Pawtucket to give the club three catchers.
Brown spent the entire season in Triple-A before spraining his left thumb in June. He just completed a three-game rehab assignment with Class-A Lowell and in the rookie-level Gulf Coast League.
Boston's two regular catchers, Martinez (broken thumb) and Varitek (broken foot), have been sidelined since early July.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
- Spending Slump
- The Patriots have spent in free agency, but they haven't spent wisely.
- Starting Strong
- Red Sox lefty Jon Lester looked like an ace in his first start of the spring.
- Strength In Numbers
- Authorities have announced major security measures for this year's Boston Marathon.
- Right Direction
- As his confidence grows, rookie Kelly Olynyk keeps getting better.
- Reasonable Doubt?
- How a conspiracy of silence and a vanished gun have complicated the case.
- Majestic Men's Authentic Detroit Tigers Victor Martinez #41 Cool Base Road Grey On-Field Jersey
MORE MLB HEADLINES