More On The Red Sox
Gordon Edes and the rest of the ESPNBoston.com team have the Red Sox covered for you. Blog
The third baseman will get a $1 million buyout and becomes a free agent after just one season with the Red Sox.
The 31-year-old Beltre led the team with a .321 batting average and a career-high 49 doubles in 154 games. He hit 28 homers and tied David Ortiz for the team lead with 102 RBIs. The option increased from $5 million to $10 million in his last game because he passed the 640 plate appearances.
Boston signed him as a free agent after he hit .265 with eight homers and 44 RBIs with Seattle in 2009.
The Red Sox must decide by Thursday whether to exercise Ortiz's $12.5 million club option.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
- Passing The Torch
- The C's finally got the best of old pal Paul Pierce, who showed Rondo some love.
- Crimson Flush
- Harvard beat Yale to lock up a fourth straight Ivy title and third straight NCAA berth.
- Kind Of A Big Deal
- What if New England can't rework the final year of Vince Wilfork's contract?
- Just Getting Started
- Will Middlebrooks remains confident he can become a premier two-way player.
- Above And Beyond
- Did Julian Edelman play himself out of a future with the Patriots?
- Majestic Men's Replica Texas Rangers Adrian Beltre #29 Alternate Royal Jersey
MORE MLB HEADLINES