- Gordon Edes, Red Sox reporter, ESPNBoston.com
- 0 Shares
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- The Boston Red Sox have made an offer to free-agent catcher Russell Martin, according to Martin's agent, Matt Colleran, who said Thursday he is in "serious" discussions with the New York Yankees, Red Sox and Toronto Blue Jays.
Colleran said he expects to continue discussions Thursday and into Friday.
The Red Sox have publicly insisted that they are comfortable going into next season with Jason Varitek and Jarrod Saltalamacchia as their catching tandem, but signing Martin, a two-time All-Star and Gold Glove winner coming off two subpar seasons offensively, would suggest that the Red Sox aren't quite as confident about their catching tandem as would appear.
The former Los Angeles Dodgers catcher was nontendered last week by L.A. after the Dodgers refused to meet his demand for a guaranteed $5 million deal. Since then, the Red Sox have been in talks with Colleran.
Martin, who tore the labrum in his hip early in August and missed the rest of the season, hit .248 in 97 games last season but had an on-base percentage of .347.
Gordon Edes covers the Red Sox for ESPNBoston.com.
11hESPN Stats & Information