Source: Red Sox recall Alfredo Aceves

Updated: April 8, 2011, 1:20 AM ET
By Joe McDonald | ESPNBoston.com

The Boston Red Sox have recalled pitcher Alfredo Aceves from Triple-A Pawtucket, a team source confirmed Thursday. The Red Sox will place pitcher Matt Albers on the disabled list with a sore lat muscle, the source said.

Aceves was scheduled to pitch for the Pawtucket Red Sox in their season opener Thursday night but was scratched before the game. Approximately 35 minutes before first pitch, it was announced he would not pitch and was replaced by Scott Atchison.

Aceves was one of the last players cut at the end of spring training. He appeared in five exhibition games during the spring, posting a 0-1 record with a 4.05 ERA.

After spending the past three seasons with the New York Yankees, posting a 14-1 record with a 3.21 ERA in 59 games, he dealt with injuries last season and did not re-sign with the Yankees. He signed with the Red Sox as a free agent on Feb. 9.

"So far, so good," Aceves said of his time with the Red Sox. "I've come from a rival organization and I was worried about it [when I signed], but after I got to spring training and met all my new teammates, it was different. These guys are awesome and I love it. I'm glad to be here and I'll work hard."

Joe McDonald covers the Red Sox for ESPNBoston.com.

Joe McDonald

Reporter, ESPNBoston.com

EDITORS' PICKS