Celtics' Delonte West ejected vs. Wiz
West got tagged with a pair of technical fouls and earned the automatic ejection after barking at referee Josh Tiven early in the second quarter of Friday's game against the Wizards. Celtics coach Doc Rivers admitted it was a quick toss.
"I got the feeling he said the right stuff," said Rivers. "That would be my guess, because it wasn't a lot of words, so it had to be the right word.
"[West] apologized to the team, but, still, we needed the bodies tonight on a back-to-back. And that's what I told him. We just needed [him]. I mean, 'Get thrown out [in Thursday's lopsided loss to Chicago]. [Friday] we needed you.' We needed the body."
West took exception after picking up his third foul in six minutes while being whistled for a shooting foul on Washington point guard John Wall with 9:07 to play in the first half. West barked at Tiven, who gave him one technical near the scorer's table. As Tiven crossed back across the floor, West yapped about the fouls again, and got the heave-ho.
West chipped in two points, a steal and an assist in six minutes. He did not previously have a technical foul this season. Starting point guard Rajon Rondo logged 42 minutes in West's absence, a number that Rivers wasn't thrilled about.
West gave a little salute near the Boston bench, his back to Tiven, as he departed for the locker room. The Celtics were on top, 38-29, at the time of West's ejection, but four free throws helped trim that lead quickly.
Garnett and Rivers were both ejected for earning consecutive technical fouls during a loss to the Phoenix Suns earlier this year.
Chris Forsberg covers the Celtics for ESPNBoston.com.
- Crimson Flourish
- Harvard beat Yale to lock up a fourth straight Ivy title and third straight NCAA berth.
- Kind Of A Big Deal
- What if New England can't rework the final year of Vince Wilfork's contract?
- Rising To The Occasion
- Rajon Rondo and the C's got the best of old friend Paul Pierce and the Nets.
- Just Getting Started
- Will Middlebrooks remains confident he can become a premier two-way player.
- Above And Beyond
- Did Julian Edelman play himself out of a future with the Patriots?
- adidas Women's Boston Celtics Courtside Tri-Blend Green Full-Zip Hoodie
MORE NBA HEADLINES