Rex Ryan: Jets haven't passed the Pats
INDIANAPOLIS -- New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan has an interesting way with words.
In the opening remarks of his news conference at the NFL scouting combine, he guaranteed a Super Bowl win for the Jets next season. Later, he acknowledged that the Jets have yet to pass the Patriots in the AFC East.
As usual, Ryan was filling reporters' notebooks with bold statements.
"I believe this is the year we're going to win the Super Bowl. I thought we'd win it the first two years, I guarantee we'll win it this year," he said.
"The reason I feel that way is this: I know we're an excellent football team," Ryan said. "We have a great organization. We're the only team to go back-to-back in the final four [over the last two years], albeit we didn't get it done. I know the kind of players we have, I know the players that we're going to have represent us, and the thing I look at is that this is not something that I just believe in. It's not what I want, it's what a whole bunch of people want -- our players, coaches, the entire organization and our fans. ... We're going to lock arms and find a way to get it done."
Later, when Ryan was asked if the Jets had passed the Patriots in the AFC East after beating them three of the last five times, he delivered a much shorter response.
"No," he said. "They're the AFC East division champions the last two years. So I would say, without question, we're behind them still."
- Long Day's Night
- John Farrell didn't like much of what he saw as the Sox dropped a twinbill.
- Made To Last
- The B's rallied to force OT, then outlasted the Lightning in the shootout.
- Raring To Go
- Avery Bradley is eager to get back on the court, no matter the Celtics' record.
- One Step Closer
- BU and Northeastern advanced in their respective conference tournaments.
- A Dream Come True
- Twelve-year-old Louis Corbett had his dream of seeing the Celtics come true.
- Nike Boys' Home Game Jersey New England Patriots Tom Brady #12
MORE NFL HEADLINES