- Joe McDonald, Reporter, ESPNBoston.com
- 0 Shares
Boston Bruins center Marc Savard will be shut down for the remainder of the 2010-11 season because of ongoing problems with concussions, according to a team source. The Bruins have called a 2 p.m. press conference to make the announcement.
General manager Peter Chiarelli declined to comment on Savard's status on Sunday, but early last week Chiarelli admitted to ESPNBoston.com that there was a "strong possibility" Savard's season was over.
Earlier Sunday, at the conclusion of the Bruins' practice, coach Claude Julien said there was no update on Savard.
Savard, along with his agent, Larry Kelly, met with Chiarelli this weekend after undergoing further tests.
Savard suffered his most recent concussion on Jan. 22 against the Avalanche in Colorado when his head hit the bottom of the glass after a clean hit by former teammate Matt Hunwick. In fact, it was the second such hit he suffered in a week's time after he was hit by Penguins defenseman Deryk Engelland early in the third period on Jan. 15 at TD Garden.
Prior to last weekend's All-Star break, the team decided to send him home to rest before bringing him back to Boston this week.
Savard is expected to be placed on long-term injured reserve, which would clear cap room in order for Chiarelli to acquire another impact player via trade if the GM believes the team needs it.
"With the time between concussions, and with the severity of the concussion [last March], and the time between when he basically stopped having concussion symptoms, [shutting him down] is certainly something you would have to consider," Chiarelli said last week.
Savard missed the start of the season due to post-concussion syndrome, the direct result of a Grade 2 concussion he suffered last March when he was on the receiving end of a blindside by the Penguins' Matt Cooke on March 7.
After missing nearly two months, Savard was deemed 100 percent healthy and given medical clearance to return to game action in time for the Eastern Conference semifinals against the Philadelphia Flyers last spring.
Savard played all seven games before the Bruins lost the series and Boston's offseason began. During the summer, while he prepared for training camp, Savard started to experience post-concussion syndrome. As a result, he missed camp and the first 23 games of the season.
Once again, he was deemed 100 percent healthy by the team's medical staff, and also by an independent expert, and returned to the lineup on Dec. 2.
He played a total of 25 games and registered 2 goals and 8 assists for 10 points, while posting a minus-7 rating.
Joe McDonald covers the Bruins for ESPNBoston.com.