Jocks to GIs: Tiger Woods

5/12/2003

b>See previous e-mail between Tiger Woods and Capt. Eric Demmitt:
March 29-April 6, 2003

Sent: Friday, May 9, 2003 4:22 PM
To: Demmitt Eric Capt
Subject: RE: Groundhog Day

Hey Capt Eric!

Always great to hear from you. I am taking this week off as well and get back to tournament play next week. I am playing in the Deutsche Bank-SAP Open in Hamburg, Germany next week. I am defending champion of the event and look forward to this trip each year. The people in Germany have been great to me the past four years and it is an outstanding event on the European tour. After that, I am not sure about my schedule. I may play in the Colonial and will in all likelihood play in the Memorial. Then it is tune up time for the US Open. I can not wait for that event and will give it my best!

Believe it or not, Jerry is still my best friend. I was just in his wedding late last year. We talk all the time and get to see each other often. He worked for my Foundation for a few years and then went back to school to get a second degree. He is now working for a Wall Street firm and living in LA. I will tell him that you and I are in contact and that you are doing well.

Well I wish you were coming home sooner than a few more months, but I guess that is just not possible. I assume they would not be keeping you there unless it was absolutely necessary. Just make sure you continue to stay safe and well protected. Can you tell me what kinds of things you are doing on a daily basis, or is that too confidential? There is still war talk on the news here, but it is far less than before. I try to keep up with it as much as possible and read the paper daily.

Too bad that you have not had a chance to move into the new house yet, but at least you have something else to look forward to. Where is the house? Tampa is a great area with quite a few good courses. I played in a mixed team event several years ago in Tampa. Each player was paired with an LPGA player. We had a good time. That event is no longer on the schedule. However, the Tour just added an event in Tampa to the schedule at the end of the year and I am thinking about playing it. It is up at Tarpon Springs on a good course.

That is it for now. I will be overseas next week with no access to e-mail, so you will probably hear from me the week of the 19th. Stay safe and keep doing what you are doing.

All the best,

Tiger

Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 12:15 PM
To: Tiger Woods

Hey Tiger,

No worries about not getting back to me sooner. I know you're a busy guy! Speaking of being busy, things here have been crazy for me and my folks the past few days. Lots of work and phone calls, meetings, etc. but, so far, so good as we're sending some folks home!

Whew, a $1M groundbreaking -- that's gotta' be real nice. Hey, Glen Waggoner at ESPN just hooked me up with a copy of two "ESPN the Magazine" articles that talked about you as well as the Stanford golf team when you were there. I actually remember seeing the Stanford article when it first came out and looking at it again made me remember one of my fraternity brothers, Jerry Chang, who was also on the golf team and was in one of the photos. Jerry was a real cool guy and great mentor for me and my pledge brothers as he was a Senior when we were pledging. I heard that you kept in touch with him after going pro -- do you still keep in touch? If so, how is he doing?

Yeah, I know what you mean about conflict being here for a while as the Middle East has been a hotbed of activity for years ... in terms of the war "winding down" I'm referring to the actual conflict slowing down. There's no longer 24/7 news or large scale fighting now that we're in Baghdad, and it seems like, every day, the US and allies are finding more and more folks on the "deck of cards" -- I haven't been able to get a hold of a set but, if I do, will hook you up.

In terms of how long I'll be here, I've only been here a little over 2 months and so could be here 4 or so months more. The Air Force has been trying to move most of its folks back home by the 6 month point but, as we're still officially at war, there's no guarantee this will happen for everyone. Speaking of home, I just had a new house built in Tampa, FL, that I was hoping to move into before I got here. Unfortunately, I was deployed a month before closing and so my realtor (who has really taken excellent care of me and my house while I've been gone) closed for me. Needless to say, I'm excited to go home but realize it may still be a few more months before this happens.

Man, Tiger Jam sounds like it was a blast!. I'm also glad to hear your fundraising campaign is going so well! I, too, had a golf course near the home I grew up in (Oregon City, OR) but didn't make it over there too often to golf; when I did it was usually to walk the road alongside the course to look for golf balls that golfers hit off the fairway and left.

Well, thanks for letting me know what a day in your life is like! Really, I hear what you mean about each never being the same as I can't believe all the things you're able to squeeze into your life. Yeah, I hear you, too, about making it a point to get in your workouts (I've been getting off track the past few weeks). I actually remember you working out, back in the day, at good ol' Arrillaga Fitness Center.

Well, Boss, hopefully you'll get some time to "chill" in the not too distant future. Take care; thanks for the E-mail!

Capt Eric

BTW, when/where is your next tour event?

Sent: Friday, April 25, 2003 1:15 PM

Hey Capt!

Sorry that I have not gotten back to you sooner. I had to go straight from our groundbreaking ceremony to a 4 day charity concert that my Foundation hosts where we made $1M. It was a very satisfying few days, but I wish I could have gotten to you sooner.

Anyway, great to hear from you and I am glad you and your group continue to be safe. It sounds like the war is winding down, but I don't really know what that means? It seams there will be conflict over there for quite some time -- does that mean you would have to stay? Do you know about when you can make it home? Whatever the case may be, we remain so proud of you all and just want you to make it back safe.

The groundbreaking was awesome. I thought it was the right thing to do when I donated the first $5M. Since then, Target has come on board for another $2.5M and we are now starting the fundraising campaign. I am extremely excited about this project because it is a tangible propery that kids can have -- they can learn and play golf. But the main focus is the learning. This is really an educational facility first and a golf facility second. I chose Anaheim because it is very near where I grew up. In fact the golf course that we will be using is the same course I played on as a kid. I thought this would be a nice way for me to give back to my community. Then we went to host the charity concert. It is called Tiger Jam and we just completed our sixth year. This year, we had the Goo Goo Dolls and Bon Jovi. They were both awesome and put on a great show.

To answer your question about what a day in my life is like, it is never the same. The one constant is that I need to get in my workouts. That puts me in proper frame of mind and gets my day started off right. During tournament weeks, each day is all about golf and getting ready for the event. During my off weeks, things vary. Some days I have sponsor committments and I spend the day with the people that have been supporting me for so long. Other days I just practice -- and then on that rare occasion, I just chill! That doesn't happen too often.

Got to go now, but great to hear from you and keep in touch. Again we are very proud and know you will be home soon.

Take care Capt
Tiger

Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2003 8:47 PM
Subject: Groundhog Day

Hey Tiger,

This past week has been going by quite fast as my job as a logistician is starting to pick up. With the war in its final stages my folks and I have been busy getting ready to send some folks home (as I'm sure you've been seeing on the news). It's really a gratifying feeling to see folks' HUGE smiles as we bid them "adieu" and also puts me and my folks one step closer to going home!

To tell you the truth, though, not a whole lot new here goes on day in and day out as they all seem to run together into a sort of Groundhog Day.

Well, what about you? What have you been up to? What is your typical day like? Oh yeah, that's real cool about your Foundation and the groundbreaking for the first Tiger Woods Learning center! Better yet, your huge donation to start off the fundraising campaign was first-rate. To tell you the truth it was neat reading your E-mail and then going home to see CNN reporting on the facility's groundbreaking.

So, what, other than the fact that the long-lowly Anaheim Angels are now World Series champs (sorry about that, I'm a long time Angels fan and it's nice to FINALLY be able to say my team's the Champion! ;) ), made you choose Anaheim for the facility?

How about your next tourney -- when and where are you playing so I can keep an eye out for you?

Take care, Tiger! Thanks for the E-mail.

Capt Eric

Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 9:28 AM
Subject: RE: Masters

What's up Capt Eric!

It sounds like you've heard some of the sports news this week -- Roy Williams goes to Carolina and I did not win my third consecutive green jacket. I put myself in a great position with a strong 66 on Saturday. I birdied the second hole on Sunday to cut the lead to 3 but made a bad decision off the tee at the third and made double bogey. I obviously fought as hard as I could but could not get it back to get the win.

There were quite a few questions early in the week about the gender issue, but once play got underway, it seemed most of the talk was golf.

I am glad to hear you are getting a chance to get to the gym. It must be so helpful to take your mind off of things. It is probably a struggle for you guys (and gals) not to lose weight with all of the stress you are under. Just try to stay positive and hang in there. As always, we continue to think of you and the rest of the troops and look forward to you finishing your job and getting home safe.

I do spend quite a bit of time with my Foundation activities. In fact, we have a big week coming up. Today (Wednesday) I am hosting a groundbreaking for a 35,000 square foot facility in Anaheim, CA to help children with golf and education. It is the first of what I hope will be several Tiger Woods Learning Centers. We are involved with a $25M fundraising campaign and I have donated the first $5M.

Well, that's it for now. Stay safe and talk to you soon!

Tiger

Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 8:37 AM
Subject: Masters

Tiger,

That was a bummer you didn't get the three-peat but I hope it'll really charge you up for next year's tourney. I actually got a chance to catch some of the Masters on TV and saw you make your big run on Saturday. I was hoping to see the biggest comeback in Masters history but, oh well, I guess there's always your next tourney as well as next year's Masters!

I know you were bummed not to take it all but, overall, how did the week treat you? From the news it sounds like the protests weren't nearly as big or unruly as projected. So, when and in what event are you playing next?

Well, I saw on SportsCenter this AM that Roy Williams did sign with UNC; I'm sure this'll be a good fit as he played and coached there.

You mentioned before you lost 10 pounds. I've lost 5 pounds here as all of the heat combined with the water you have to drink to stay hydrated really helps sweat off the pounds. I like to think my time spent in the gym is also helping as I've been focusing on cardio and doing some basic military-style exercises (push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, etc.) ;)

So, what does your Foundation do? I'm sure it's probably set up to help underprivileged folks but don't know exactly what it does. How long has it been established? Does it take a lot of your time?

Well, Boss, I'll let you run as I know you're a busy man. I wish you luck and thank you for yours as well as for America's thanks, support, and prayers -- they really ARE appreciated by all of us out here!

Capt Eric Demmitt