>

Jocks to GIs: Mark Prior

See previous e-mail between Mark Prior and Toby Winn:

March 29-April 2

Sent: Friday, May 16, 2003 1:44 PM
To: Toby Winn 363 EMDG/AIREVAC14
Subject: Welcome home

Toby!

You've come home! That is awesome! I hope everything is going well.

I was wondering if you were on your way since I didn't hear from you in a while. Things are going well right now for the team (I jump right into that because I know you want to hear about it). We played 17 yesterday against the Brewers so that was fun and we have won 5 straight. We split with the Cards last weekend and we are playing this weekend he in St. Louis. It should be a fun series. Sammy is on the DL because he had surgery on his toe. Looked bad. Other than, just hanging out.

I hope you enjoy your time at home. Look forward to talking to you.

Mark

Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 9:14 PM
To: Mark Prior
Subject:I'm home!

Mark,

I wanted to write to tell you that I have made it home safely. I got back in the states on about the 9th of this month. Things have been hectic trying to get settled back in but it has been very nice to get to spend time with my family. My daughter has grown so much. She is an absolute angel.

How are things with the Cubs? Even though I have been back in the states I still haven't had much access to see what has been going on with baseball. I did hear that Barry Bonds was upset that you hit him with a pitch. What does he expect to happen when he crowds the plate the way he does? Does he expect people to set the ball on a tee for him? What is going on with the team? Did you take the series against the Cardinals? As soon as I come off of my active duty orders I look forward to coming to a few games. To me a summer just doesn't feel complete without attending a few games at the "Friendly Confines."

Well I have to go for now I will try and write more tomorrow.

Toby

Sent: Friday, May 2, 2003 7:03 PM
Subject: RE: Hello

Hey

Hope all is going well. We just returned from our roadtrip out west. Went okay. Went 3-3 against Colorado and San Fran. Crazy out in San Fran with the return of Dusty and all. We took 2 from them so that was good. They are a good team.

Got a letter from my buddy dated April 15th. He was in Baghdad. I think he might be coming home according to an email I got from someone. Anyway, just thought I would check in.

Mark

Sent: Friday, April 25, 2003 3:09 PM
Subject: Scary moment

Hey Toby,

Things are going alright over here. We dropped 2 out of 3 to the Padres this week. Now we are in Colorado on a road trip. No one is on a hot streak that I can think of, we haven't played very well in our last four games but hopefully we can change that tonight. I throw tonight against Colorado and it should be a good game. Their pitcher is Nelson Cruz and he is 3-0, pretty good pitcher. It should be fun.

The other day we had a scary moment. Sammy got hit in the ear by a pitch. Shattered his helmet. He is alright but was a little shaken up as you can imagine.

Glad to hear Baskin Robbins made it there. They just put a Cold Stone Creamery in close to the park so that has fired up a lot of guys. I will see what I can get from Fox about the piece they did. I heard it went well.

Anyway, got to run to the field. Hope all is well and good luck.

Mark

Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2003 8:05 AM
Subject: Work's been busy

Mark,

I've had very little opportunity to check on updates of scores. How are you guys doing? Anyone on any hot streaks? Any info you can give would be great.

That sounded pretty cool about Fox Chicago. I heard from my friend that lives in Chicago that WGN showed something about us emailing. I think that is awesome! I have been telling all of the people I work with about this. A lot of them are stationed near St. Louis and are Cardinal fans. I tell them how sorry I am to hear that. There is kind of a rivalry brewing so make sure you guys whoop them good!!

My work has been busy. The weather here is very hot during the day with a few sandstorms here and there. The nights are very cool. We are living in tents here and shower and use the restroom in tents as well. Things got a little better though... we got a baskin robbins just the other day. It is a long wait to get ice cream but it seems to hit the spot. The food here is .... well it is food. I mostly eat MRE's. They are pretty good in my opinion.

Well I have to be going. I am limited to 30 minutes and I have friends and family to reply to as well. Take care and good luck. Again I apreciate you taking the time to write.
Toby

Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 5:02 PM

Toby,

Glad to hear from you. Things are going good here. The weather warmed up here for a couple of days and pushed 80 with strong winds out to Waveland. Sammy hit number 2 and Choi added one as well. Bellhorn smoked a line drive into the batter's eye. We won 11-1. Unfortunately we lost last night 11-3. I didn't pitch all that well, in fact I made a couple of costly throwing errors. One of those nights. We did have a sellout though. It was a nice night. We are 8-6 and showing signs that we might break out into a nice winning streak.

Sounds like things are going well over there. You are getting plenty of attention here. All the media people want to know all about you. In fact they are taping me writing you this email. Fox Chicago is doing a piece on the ESPN program. Hopefully we can get you and your family out to a game when your back into the area and settle down.

We play the Cards May 9 and we will see what we can do. I know you need bragging rights over your buddy. We head to Pitt. on Thursday for a 3 game series which was a fun series last week. Then we return home for a set with the Padres and then head West to Colorado and then to Dusty's old home in San Fran. I think that takes us up through the end of April and hopefully we are right where we want to be after the first month is over.

My buddy is doing good. He got word to his family through a news person that has been traveling around with them for some time now. His dad sent me some articles about him and a shirt supporting the 3rd Infantry. Other than that, things are good here. Hope all is well and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Mark

Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 7:15 AM

Mark,

Thanks for the response. I am doing very well at my new location. I am not able to give out my new location but I can say it is hot and sunny. I heard you pitched a gem of a game the other day. Congrats. I am glad to hear you are getting off to a great start as well as the team.

Life here isn't too bad. We are living in tents. I don't have much time left so I will have to write more later. Please update me with games if you get a chance. How are all the other guys doing this year? Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I am aching to get the chance to go to a game. Our access to the outside world is limited. Well again thanks for responding. Take care and good luck.

Toby

P.S. When do you play the Cardinals? One of my very good friends is a Cardinal fan. Please beat up on those darn redbirds so I don't catch any flak from him.

Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 12:01 AM

Toby,

How is it going? It is Thursday night here in Chicago. Trying to get settled here after we returned home from the road last week. Did alright. Went 3-3 on a cold trip and then we returned to be snowed out on Monday. At least the weather is warming up though. We just took 2 out of 3 from the Expos and will be facing the Pirates this weekend which should be a good series.

I assumed you were on the move because I hadn't heard from you in a while. I don't know where that exactly puts you but maybe moving closer in I am not sure. I guess my friend got word to his parents that he is okay right now but in the thick of it in Baghdad. I am glad to hear that.

I hope all is well and when you find time to write, let me know how things are going for you.

Mark