<
>

Jocks to GIs: Chamique Holdsclaw

Sent: Friday, March 28, 2003 7:16 PM
To: Chamique Holdsclaw

Subject: Hello

Dear Chamique,

Thank you so much for participating in this program. I truly appreciate athletes taking the time to get involved with servicemen. I guess I will start with the obligatory information about myself. I am currently stationed at a "classified" location. I am a member of the D.C. National Guard stationed at Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland. I have been there for 3 years now and previously did 10 years active duty Air Force. I am a young looking 39 year old black male and I am originally from Washington, D.C.

Let me start by saying I may be your biggest fan. I am well aware of some of the things you do for kids in the DC area. I have followed you from your freshman year at Tennessee until the present. Sadly I may not be able to attend any Mystics games this year due to my current situation. I planned to be a season ticket holder this year. I wish you all the luck in the world this year and hope we can build on what we accomplished last year. If we only had a point guard and a big body down low. I could talk to you forever about the WNBA and what the Mystics need. But for now I just hope you don't leave us for another team.

Well things here could be better to say the least. Of course I can't tell you much about what is going on here but just know that we are getting it down from here. Myself personally, I'm a little upset that my sister is here with me. Now my mom's only 2 children are both deployed to the same location. Her son graduates this year and has a chance to get a basketball scholarship and she may not be there to see him graduate and go off to college. So you can imagine I'm a little down about that situation. I participated in Desert Storm so this is not a big deal to me personally. Sure I hate being away from my loved ones but I have conditioned myself to handle it. I feel worse for my family having to worry about me over here than I do for myself. I do however feel that this was something that had to be done. I may not like it but it was needed.

I will be glad to answer any questions you may have to the best of my ability. I truly look forward to hearing from you very soon. I know that you are hard at work getting your game fine tuned for the season. My only wish for the upcoming season is for you to take more shots. It's your team. Be selfish. You don't have help on a consistent basis.

Let me apologize if I am talking too much basketball but why didn't the Mystics take Michelle Snow last year. Big body, athletic, young, and feisty. She would have been a great addition. I like Vikki Bullett but she is getting up there in age and there are a few teams out there that have an abundance of 6'5" players riding the pine. The Mystics need to get one of them. Enough said.

Take care of yourself and I eagerly await your response. Thank you again.

Maurice Jackson

Sent: Monday, March 31, 2003 4:35 PM
To: Jackson, Maurice SSGT 410 AEW/MXS
Subject: RE: Hello

Maurice,

My heart goes out to you because I know this is a difficult time. I am really proud that you and the allied forces are over there protecting us. I try my best to stay aware of what is going on over there and my prayers are with you and the other soldiers. Since you said I can ask you anything, here goes...I know you must be scared. I know I could never be in your position. What does it feel like on a daily basis to be there? Is it more intense than what we see on television? How close are you to the action? I know you mentioned that your sister is over there, but do you have any children back home? If so, how often do you get to speak with them and other family members? Also, do you see your sister daily? It must be comforting to have someone so close to you over there with you.

Now, on to basketball. It seems like you are a great analyst for the WNBA. Maybe when you come home, we can hire you as a scout. I agree with you about Michelle Snow. We're great friends and in fact, I just finished playing with her in Korea. I enjoyed being her teammate once again (as you know, we played together at Tennessee).

I came home from Korea earlier this month and have been doing 2-a-days to get ready for the upcoming season. As you may know, we did big things last season and we're hoping to go even further this season. My personal goal and hopefully our team goal is to win the WNBA Championship this year. But of course, it is going to take a lot of hard work from all of us, so if you see any 6'5" post players over there, quick send them to Washington, DC, Attn: Washington Mystics.

I am always impressed with the Washington Mystics fans and how supportive they are - they are the best in the WNBA. It's amazing to see that even though you're fighting for freedom, you still have time to support the Mystics. When you get back, I hope you will accept my invitation to be my guest at a Mystics home game.

Since it's tournament time, who do you think will be crowned for the women's NCAA champion and men's NCAA champion? Of course for the women's side, Go Lady Vols.

For the men, I think that Roy Williams and Kansas are long overdue.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Go Lady Vols & go Washington Mystics!

Peace and God Bless. We're thinking about you.

Best wishes,

Chamique