<
>

Jocks to GIs: Curt Schilling

Sent: Thursday, April 3, 2003 9:56 PM
To: Taylor Aaron SSgt 405 ECS
Subject: RE: Hey

Staff Sergeant Taylor,

First off let me say that the honor is all mine. I'm pretty fired up about this project and hope that we can exchange quite a few emails prior to the U.S. finishing up the liberation of Iraq and you coming back to your family here in the states. Let me say that when you do come back I'd like to extend an offer of our suite at Bank One Ballpark for you and a dozen of your unit members or family to attend a DBacks game. I'm looking forward to meeting you in person someday.

:: My name is Aaron Taylor, I am 29 years old, Married to a
:: wonderful and supportive wife, Raquel. We have two
:: wonderful children, Garrett, who is 5 and Gabrielle who is
:: 6 months old. (She was in the hospital for 6 weeks, and
:: home for about 1 before I had to deploy.)

Life is ironic isn't it? I'm 36 years old, have the wife a man can only dream of finding and 4 healthy wonderful children. How about these names? Gehrig our oldest son is 7, Gabriella, our lone girl and Dad's princess is 5, Grant, our hell on wheels (worse than the 2nd armored I promise you!) is 3, and our newest addition Garrison is 9 months old. Between our two families I think we have the 'G' names covered don't ya think? Is Gabrielle doing ok now? What does Garrett enjoy doing?

:: I am from Mesa, AZ originally, and currently live in Tucson,
:: stationed at Davis-Monthan AFB.

We spend all spring watching your A-10's and F-16's fly all over Tucson air space, amazing no one has been killed in batting practice while trying to keep an eye on fly balls and jets at the same time.

:: I have been in the Air Force for a little over 8 years, where I am
:: a Communications-Computer Operator. Basically, I work with
:: any part of computers, to networks, to security.

Great! A fellow computer nerd. I'm a professional baseball player with a serious addiction to computers, my wife calls me a nerd, so I guess I can't refute that...

:: I think I have a great job in the Air Force that is marketable on
:: the outside, but I know I'm going to do probably more than 20
:: years before I decide to leave.

:: Right now, I am deployed in support of Operation Enduring
:: Freedom, and now also Operation Iraqi Freedom. Luckily,
:: I have two things going for me here, 1: I am in the Air Force,
:: basically a supportive role, and 2: I am stationed in Oman.
:: I can't say exactly where, we like to say a "Deployed Location" in
:: Oman. But it is a good neighborhood, as I like to call it, my wife
:: likes that as well.... ha-ha...

Regardless of where you are deployed the respect of I have, I should say we have, for what you and the rest of the coalition forces are doing is immeasurable. You'll be in our prayers for a safe return, all of you.

:: At the moment Sir, I need to get this initial message sent, for I am
:: in the middle of our duty day. I want to Thank you very, very much
:: for this opportunity, and I look very forward to talking to you.

Understood, I'll reply to your next letter after this, good luck and God Bless.

Curt Schilling

Sent: Thursday, April 3, 2003 10:27 PM
To: Taylor Aaron SSgt 405 ECS

Subject: And a good day to you too.

:: Well, let me start with a typical day for me.....I live in a tent
:: with 9 other guys.

Kind of like a lockeroom huh? Except there is no running water, AC, or deoderizer, can't imagine what 10 pairs of smelly socks are like at 2am....

:: I usually wake up around quarter to 5 in the morning, that's so
:: I know there will be hot water for a shower and shave.

I usually wake up around 5am too, to jostle my wife and fake going back to sleep because the baby is crying...

:: We walk about 200 yards or so to the showers, which is a
:: small trailer with shower stalls.

Ouch. If I had to wake up before sunrise to walk anywhere, much less 200 yards in the desert, I'd be in a foul mood.

:: Then it's back to the tent, get my uniform on, and head to
:: breakfast with a buddy of mine, and have a cup of coffee.
:: Then I grab my gear, and head into the "Office" tent, about
:: a half mile (we walk everywhere).

Why do you guys walk everywhere?

:: I'm in charge of the Communications Helpdesk. That's where
:: people from all over the base, call in any type of computer and
:: communication problems. From telephones, to e-mail, to just
:: about anything you could imagine. I've received all calls......
:: you name it!!

So your the 'my computer is broke guy'? In this day and age and with the technology being used to run the armed forces I would imagine there is not a lot of down time in your work day.

:: My work schedule is 7-5 Monday-Friday, and 7-12 on Saturday...
:: but getting out at 5 is not usually how it goes......I don't
:: usually get back to my tent, and get my boots off until around 9
:: or so.....to me that's the end of the day, when those boots
:: are off....ha-ha

Wow, gotta make for some incredible sleep though.

:: The weather here is warming up. I was sitting out on a bench
:: the other day, and a friend had a small key chain thermometer,
:: and it hit 120 degrees......but like AZ, it is a dry heat. Being
:: from AZ really helps too, the weather here is a lot like it there.

Hehe, dry heat. 120 degrees is 120 degrees, I don't care if it's dry or not. I wonder about the guys in the field wearing chem suits made of plastic, riding around in the M1A1 and the Bradleys, not sure they really care if the 120+ degree heat is dry or not.... I grew up in Phoenix also, always enjoyed the weather, heck if you don't pave roads for a living or mow lawns who cares how hot it is?

:: So, can I ask you some questions, like what kind of music do
:: you like? Me, I like all kinds really, anything with a good beat
:: and rhythm....I like the oldies, and some "Old School" music,
:: and some rock. I'm not a huge country fan, but some of the
:: more popular stuff I know and like. I know that's kind of a
:: broad, general thing to ask. I'm just not into the whole gangster
:: rap, or heavy hard metal rock stuff.....like now I'm listening
:: to the Four Tops, and Temptations, and stuff like that....

I'm an older rock guy. Grew up liking Rush, The Scorpions, AC/DC etc. My wife is a HUGE country music fan. My kids love anything sung by the chipmunks.

:: I know that Baseball must take most of your time, but what do
:: you like to do when you're not working?

You're looking at it. I'm on my computer alot, for work and for play. I play alot of the online games, like Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot, Battlefield 1942 and others. I use a PC laptop for 'work', having every pitch I've thrown since 1993 on CD ROM and using that with a program designed to look at the video on my computer. I study hitters and prepare game plans that way to pitch to. I started taking a Korean Martial Art this winter called Tang-Soo-Doo (pronounced Tongue Soo Doe) which I really am liking. On the road I can get in an hour or so a day to workout in the hotel. Other than that I think I like what every other guy likes, to sit around in shorts and a tee short and watch sportscenter, follow my friends around the league. Funny thing tonight, two of my good friends, former teammates last year, Brian Anderson and Rick Helling, are facing each other in Baltimore tonight, last I saw it was 3-0 Cleveland after 6.

:: Well, Sir, I better try to keep this short, we have some
:: e-mail issues of our own here. Sometimes the larger ones
:: won't go through. I guess that's what happens when you
:: are in the middle of nowhere! ha-ha and believe me, it is
:: the middle of nowhere!

No problem. I'll try and bring you up to date on us, and the sports world in general and then sign off, don't want to keep you from work.

We lost 2-3 to the Dodgers to open the season, Nomo shut us out on a 4 hitter opening day and Brown stiffled us yesterday 5-0. I pitched game two and had a 4-0 lead going into the 8th, having retired 14 in a row to that point. I then proceeded to let the wheels fall off and blew the lead within a span of 5 hitters, they tied it up but we ended up winning in 10. Some great things happened to finish it off, Mark Grace passed Babe Ruth on the all-time doubles list as he doubled to start the winning rally, Junior Spivey won it with a bases loaded single to left. Mike Koplove and Matt Mantei came out of the pen to shut the Dodgers down and Matt got the win in his first appearance of the year, he was nasty. Unfortunately we lost Bret Prinz in Game 1 when he tore his groin and it looks like he'll be out for a few months.

In other baseball news Arod hit his 300th homer, the youngest player ever to reach that mark, Clemens is 6 wins away from 300. Derek Jeter dislocated his left shoulder in the Yanks first game and it looks like he'll be out for a few months minimum, but they still put up 9 and 10 runs the next two nights without him, real shocker there. I think our Division is going to be a dogfight, lots of great pitching and some good solid clubs in this division. If there is anything you or your buddies want to know PLEASE don't hesitate to ask, I can get you info ASAP.

:: I hope you have a good day. We seem to be about 11 hours
:: ahead of AZ time. I will keep up to date on the D-Backs through
:: the Internet the best I can until we rotate back to the world.
:: Thank you again for this opportunity!

Let me thank you. I don't want to sign off without telling you about a few things on my end. I grew up an army brat. My dad served in the Army for 20 years. I'm the proud son of a former "Screaming Eagle", him having served in the 101st while he was enlisted. My brother in law served in Vietnam as a door gunner in a huey, and my cousin was a member of the Delta Force, his unit being the Delta Force unit portrayed in Blackhawk Down. Just wanted you to know this stuff so you'd understand the amount of respect and admiration my family has for you and all of your brothers and sisters over there.

Amazing how every time there's a country falling apart at the seams, or threatening some other nation, the U.S. has the men and woman willing to put their lives on the line to protect OTHER peoples freedoms and rights, not just our own. With Gods blessing you will all be home soon, but please know that we are truly thankful for the fight you are waging, and the fact that our freedoms would be things of the past were it not for men like you, you've made us incredibly proud and continue to do so on a daily basis.

Hang on, there's a knock at the door! Oh, sorry, that's the 3rd ID outside Baghdad..... I hear on the news that we've penetrated the perimeter of Baghdad, I'd like to see the ones responsible for this crap handed over to the true Iragi citizens when this is all said and done.

You are in our thoughts and prayers.

God Bless and God Speed

Talk Soon

Curt Schilling

P.S. This sig line is a keeper... "You Can Talk About Us, But Not Without Us"

Sent: Wednesday, April 2, 2003 5:01 AM
To: Curt Schilling

Mr. Schilling

Sir, I just received this message, and needless to say, I am very, very excited about this opportunity! I am a very big fan of yours, and of the Diamondbacks!

My name is Aaron Taylor, I am 29 years old, Married to a wonderful and supportive wife, Raquel. We have two wonderful children, Garrett, who is 5 and Gabrielle who is 6 months old. (She was in the hospital for 6 weeks,and home for about 1 before I had to deploy.)

I am from Mesa, AZ originally, and currently live in Tucson, stationed at Davis-Monthan AFB.

I have been in the Air Force for a little over 8 years, where I am a Communications-Computer Operator. Basically, I work with any part of computers, to networks, to security. I think I have a great job in the Air Force that is marketable on the outside, but I know I'm going to do probably more than 20 years before I decide to leave.

Right now, I am deployed in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, and now also Operation Iraqi Freedom. Luckily, I have two things going for me here, 1: I am in the Air Force, basically a supportive role, and 2: I am stationed in Oman. I can't say exactly where, we like to say a "Deployed Location" in Oman. But it is a good neighborhood, as I like to call it, my wife likes that as well.... ha-ha...

At the moment Sir, I need to get this initial message sent, for I am in the middle of our duty day.

I want to Thank you very, very much for this opportunity, and I look very forward to talking to you.

Have a great day!

Very Respectfully

Aaron M. Taylor, SSgt, USAF
405 Expeditionary Communications Squadron
"You Can Talk About Us, But Not Without Us"

Sent: Wednesday, April 2, 2003 10:57 AM
To: Curt Schilling

Mr. Schilling

Sir, I have finally gotten off of work, and have some more time to write....

Wow, so where do I start? I already told you a little bit about myself, kind of a nutshell.....ha-ha...

Well, let me start with a typical day for me.....I live in a tent with 9 other guys. I usually wake up around quarter to 5 in the morning, that's so I know there will be hot water for a shower and shave. We walk about 200 yards or so to the showers, which is a small trailer with shower stalls. Then it's back to the tent, get my uniform on, and head to breakfast with a buddy of mine, and have a cup of coffee. Then I grab my gear, and head into the "Office" tent, about a half mile (we walk everywhere). I'm in charge of
the Communications Helpdesk. That's where people from all over the base, call in any type of computer and communication problems. From telephones, to e-mail, to just about anything you could imagine. I've received all calls...... you name it!!

My work schedule is 7-5 Monday-Friday, and 7-12 on Saturday.....but getting out at 5 is not usually how it goes......I don't usually get back to my tent, and get my boots off until around 9 or so.....to me that's the end of the day, when those boots are off....ha-ha

The weather here is warming up. I was sitting out on a bench the other day, and a friend had a small key chain thermometer, and it hit 120 degrees......but like AZ, it is a dry heat. Being from AZ really helps too, the weather here is a lot like it there.....

So, can I ask you some questions, like what kind of music do you like? Me, I like all kinds really, anything with a good beat and rhythm....I like the oldies, and some "Old School" music, and some rock. I'm not a huge country fan, but some of the more popular stuff I know and like. I know that's kind of a broad, general thing to ask. I'm just not into the whole gangster rap, or heavy hard metal rock stuff.....like now I'm listening to the Four Tops, and Temptations, and stuff like that....

I know that Baseball must take most of your time, but what do you like to do when you're not working?

Well, Sir, I better try to keep this short, we have some e-mail issues of our own here. Sometimes the larger ones won't go through. I guess that's what happens when you are in the middle of nowhere! ha-ha and believe me, it is the middle of nowhere!

I hope you have a good day. We seem to be about 11 hours ahead of AZ time. I will keep up to date on the D-Backs through the Internet the best I can until we rotate back to the world.

Thank you again for this opportunity!

Very Respectfully

Aaron M. Taylor, SSgt, USAF
405 Expeditionary Communications Squadron
"You Can Talk About Us, But Not Without Us"