>

Jocks to GIs: Rod Brind'Amour

See previous e-mail between Rod Brind'Amour and Marty Markos:

April 3-7, 2003 | April 7-16

Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 4:53 PM
To: Markos Martin SSgt 444 AEG
Subject: RE: Long night

Martin

Just thought I would check in and see how you are making out. We have had a busy few days as a friend from college came to visit with his three kids and needless to say we had our hands full.

As for our summer plans, we usually spend a month in Indiana as my wife's family is from there and we have a place on a small lake near her parents house. The rest of the time is usually spent here with a small trip out to Vancouver Island where I grew up to help with a charity golf tournament out there mixed in.

Hope all is well with you. I'll talk to you soon.

Rod

Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2003 5:47 PM
To: Rod Brind'Amour
Subject: Long night

Rod

Putting in a long night tonight, so I thought I would take a couple minutes to drop you a line. Things are going well over here. Hopefully the same for you.

Once we get back we get 2 weeks reconstitution time. Not sure what I am going to do with that, yet. I am sure I will spend most of it up in Michigan with my Dad and the kids. A lot of doing nothing and sitting out by the pool, I know that for sure. Was planning on a Vegas trip before I left, that kind of got canned, so working on going over the summer provided I get back in time. Going to go out with some friends, should be a blast, I cant wait for that! Any big vacation plans for you and the family during the off season?

Hpe to hear from you soon.

Marty

Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2003 2:58 PM
To: Markos Martin SSgt 444 AEG
Subject: RE: Done Deal

Martin

It is hard to believe the Wings went down in four straight, but that is what is great about sports, you never know.

I actually did a small interview about this program we are involved in. I did not realize that some people had access to our discussions. It is a good thing I did not say anything bad about some of the teams we have talked about, unlike you who has joked about the Detroit sports scene on several occasions. Not that I blame you, the Wings are the only good team in town, but at least you have all the teams to cheer for, good or bad.

I have to run, but I hope you are doing alright. I will talk to you soon.

Rod

Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 3:09 AM
To: Rod Brind'Amour
Subject: Done Deal

Rod

Well so much for high hopes of back to back titles! That is ok, there is always next year. The bad thing is now I have to suffer through baseball and football seasons (yes, Tigers and Lions fan also). I guess that goes to show you what one hot goalie can do for a team. Those are the breaks. Ducks, I'm sure they are walkin' round all high and mighty like they just got they car paid off or somethin'.

What I do here is different from what I do back at Wright Patterson. Back home I work in the evaluations section, reviewing and tracking the annual reports for the members on base. Here is a little bit different for us. What PERSCO does is track bodies. Make sure who is coming here, who is going home, who is going forward, and make sure they get where they are suppose to be. We are also in charge of doing the notifications for Red Cross and Casualty messages. What happens with the Red Cross is they send the messages here, we get the notification and let the right people know about it so we can get the member out of here. These are never fun cause it normally means that something is wrong back home (death in the family, complications with pregnancy, hospitalization of immediate family members). Casualty notifications are just when they sound like. It's our job to get notification of anything that happens back to the home base so they can let the family know of anything going on before they see it on CNN. Again, not something that we like to do.

I haven't been doing this job long, only about 3 years or so. I use to work Missile Maintenance (on the big missiles you see on TV or the movies, in the silo) . My Mom got sick (cancer), so the Air Force gave me the option of changing jobs to move closer to home. I was in California at the time, so to me it was a no brainer to pack up and get closer to her. She has since passed, but being in Ohio gives me the chance to be closer to my family.

So I know you said you have three kids, what are their ages? Is it hard being away from them with all the traveling you do during the season? Do you get to stay in Carolina during the off season (presuming that is where you live)?

Well, I should go and hit the shower before my shift starts. Don't need to scare off any customers today!

Hope to hear from you soon.

PERSCO Rocks!

Marty