<
>

Jocks to GIs: Roger Clemens

Sent: Wednesday, May 7, 2003 10:17 AM
To: Barcus Cpl Brian D
Subject: RE: jocks to gis program

Brian,

Brian, let's start with the important stuff ... the Horns-OU game on the 11th of October. I hope this year 2 things change - #1, I hope I will not be able to go to the game in Dallas this year. That will mean we are still playing. And 2, the score of the game needs to change from last year. So, we will see. OU has been strong of late. It should be a good one.

As far as our season goes ... you're right. We came out of the gate fast. We set a new record for starters 16-0. We are still playing well, but have run into some teams with big bats, but they have no pitching. We have 2 or 3 guys in our lineup that don't have it going just yet. Rivera is back and Jeter will be in a couple of weeks. Then we will be at full strength. So it's like our old saying at the Univ. of Texas ..."We don't rebuild, we reload!"

All the best,

"ROCKET"

Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2003 5:18 PM
To: Roger Clemens

Mr. Clemens,

Well Rocket, thanks for answering my questions. Great start is an understatement. You guys are rollin'. Especially your starters.

Wow, so I guess the question that everyone is asking is how good is this team compared to your other great ones? I will say this, you guys have been beating up on the weaker teams in the AL. Toronto, Tampa, and you guys just got a mental edge over the Twins, although I don't think the Twins are going to have as good a year as they did last year. Some of their guys had career years last year. I don't see them doing as good.

Your schedule is beefening up a little in the next month. Seattle, Oakland, and even Texas have been playing ok. If the Rangers could get that pen going they might be decent. They have a really strong lineup. So we'll see how tough you guys really are in the next month or so. But so far, great job.

You should hit 300 before the break, see, I told you you would. Anyway, great to hear from you. I always look forward to hearing from you.

P.S. Looks like the Sooners will be # 1 or 2 in the preseason polls, you got any bets for the game on Oct. 11th?

Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2003 4:45 PM

Brian,

Thanks, man. Real busy here as well. To answer your other questions, I am from Texas. I was born in Ohio. Family roots are from Cookville, Tenn. Father passed when I was 9, and my mother packed up and took all 6 of us to Texas where my oldest brother was in the Army. Been there ever since. I am very close to the Bush family, so I'm always behind you guys.

So far so good. We are off to a great start. We need to keep it going.

Sent: Monday, April 21, 2003 11:28 PM

Mr. Clemens,

Hey Rocket, congrats on win 296, you guys are rollin' right now. Sorry I haven't written more, I have been really busy. Well, hit me back when you get a chance.

Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2003 8:49 AM

Brian,

Your last passage is a great one.

Wow, where do I start with us being so close yet so far away ... and I'm not talking about me being here in NY and you over in Iraq, I'm talking about all this Braves BS and even worse an OU fan!!! Good lord this writing will have to stop here and now. (Ha-Ha) OK, just joking around with ya.

Man, are we going to be able to make some nice wagers in the upcoming months. I was at the Texas-OU game this year. I took my 4 sons with me and it was great fun. And yes your team put a dent in our national championship hopes. I lost 2 bets on that game. My brother-in-law is an OU fan. They have family in Oklahoma.

I do know Randy Keisler. Good guy. The Yankees let him go this past spring, and he has hooked up with another club.

This is my last rodeo as they say. 20 years in MLB. Need to get to 300, and then some. Hopefully another big shiny ring too. Anyway, thanks for the well wishes. I was over in your area to see all the guys this past Dec. I was with General Myers and Drew Carey. It was a trip of a lifetime.

From what we see on CNN and such over here it looks like things are going pretty well in Iraq.

Be safe and stay low.

"ROCKET"

Sent: Tuesday, April 8, 2003 3:35 PM
Subject: jocks to gis program

Mr. Clemens,

First of all let me thank you for this opportunity. There were many reasons that I wanted to write you, but none more than the fact that in my book, you are a top 5 pitcher of all time. And baseball is my passion.

My name is Brian Barcus, I am 22, and in the USMC. I am part of the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit currently in Iraq. I am not out fighting with them though, my duties are required on board the boat. I am part of the administration team. We are aboard the USS Tarawa. I am originally from Palmer Texas, its in north central Texas just below Dallas. About 30 miles south of Dallas on I-45.

Well, there are so many things that I want to tell you. You guys are off to a great start. Good luck the rest of the way. You looked really good in your first ballgame. I have you on one of my fantasy teams. Just one more game closer to 300. How much longer do you think that you will pitch? So far at 40, you are still pitching better than most 25 year olds. Oh, I have a question, do you know Randy Keisler. He pitched for you guys a couple of seasons ago. Well, I went to high school with him. I think he got hurt last year, and now is gone.

I have to be honest with you, I not too fond of the Yankees organization. I am a big Braves fan, and the Yanks pretty much kicked our butt in the 96 World Series. Your last year in Boston. But I am a baseball man and can appreciate the greatness of your organization. There arent too many teams in any sport that have dominated the game like you guys have, and you are a big reason for that.

It is really funny that they picked me to be your pen pal because I am a big Braves fan, and an Oklahoma Sooner fan. I know you went to UT, so I am pretty sure you can see the Irony. Do you ever get a chance to go to the Annual Red River Shootout???? Hopefully I wont miss it this year. Maybe you guys will have a chance this year, since Simms is gone! lol.

Well, Mr. Clemens, I guess that is it for now. There are so many things that I would love to talk to you about. Hopefully we will have time.

Again, thank you for this opportunity. I am eagerly anticipating your response.

Corporal Brian D. Barcus
2/1 H&S CO S1 RPAC REP USS TARAWA
"I will be strong and courageous. I will not be terrified, or discouraged; for the Lord my God is with me wherever I go." Joshua 1:9