<
>

Jocks to GIs: Shannon MacMillan

5/20/2003

Sent: Tue April 22, 2003 2:27 PM
To: Shannon MacMillan
Subject: My job

Shannon,

Hello again :) I know -- my job is a mouthful. But basically I train people how to properly wear the protective mask that help prevent the inhalation of dangerous chemical and biological warfare agents. I also work on setting up detection networks with equipment that helps notify the sections of the base where the eqipment is set up when they have a chemical warfare agent. It sounds complicated, I know, it's kind of hard to explain.

I'm anxious to get the opportunity to go to school. I have to wait until I'm done with my upgrade training. I'm almost there though, I go up for possible early promotion in September. I'm anxious for that. I know that I'm making my family proud with everything I'm doing over here and that gets me through all the rough times.

Talk soon. Take care,

Theresa

Sent: Thurs April 17, 2003 7:54 PM
To: A1C Theresa Gonzales
Subject: RE: Hello!

Theresa,

Hello again! It was great to hear from you ... even if you pretty much lost me on what your job exactly is with the Air Force! It is definitely a mouthful, but I am glad that you enjoy it and what a great opportunity for you, as well.

I am going on 28 this year (mine's October 7th, when's your bday?), but have been incredibly fortunate to have soccer in my life. Without it, I am not sure where I would be. It has paid for my college education and is now my job! I am living out a dream everyday that I step out onto that field. I know I owe a great deal of that opportunity to people like yourselves who put your lives on the line so that we are able to live the life with freedom that we have been spoiled with!

As for the insane who insist on protesting, please believe that there are way more of us who support you guys. And those who don't, well, they are just the losers with nothing better to do ... or wimps you wouldn't want out there with you! Some people just have no clue and are always looking for ways to complain and be unhappy.

Anyway, I hope you are doing well and I look forward to hearing from you again. Take care and be safe!
Shannon

Sent: Tue April 15, 2003 11:53 AM
To: Shannon MacMillan
Subject: Hi Shannon!

Hello Shannon,

It was nice to hear from you. I respect the athletes who support the troops over here fighting for a good cause. It's hard sometimes to think that my fellow brothers and sisters of the military are sacrificing their lives while many people around the world are protesting. It helps to hear from those who are supporting our cause.

I'm 20, I'll be 21 in October, and this is my first deployment. I jumped at the chance to deploy, especially now, because I was anxious to support my country. I am a Readiness Apprentice for the Air Force, which means I study and train the base populace on nuclear, biological and chemical warfare. I also deal with natural diaster and major accident response. It's kind of a mouthful to say when someones asks what my job is in the Air Force. I love my job though, it provides me an excellent opportunity to enhance my speaking skills, as well as my knowledge in different subject areas.

I look forward to the chance to speak with you more. Thanks again for your support!

Theresa

Sent: Mon 4/14/2003 6:53 PM
To: A1C Theresa Gonzales
Subject: Hi Theresa!

Hello there Theresa!

My name is Shannon MacMillan and I am a professional soccer player. I play for the San Diego Spirit as well as the US National team.

When ESPN approached me about this whole "Jocks to Gi's" I jumped at the chance because I truly admire what you guys stand for and what you are doing for the rest of us back here. You are the true hero and it is an honor to be able to correspond with you. I am not sure how often you get to check this over there but I do look forward to hearing back from you. I will keep this short for now but I hope you are safe and doing well.

Take care!

Shannon