Jocks to GIs: Brad Faxon

4/29/2003

See previous e-mail between Brad Faxon and Lee Yarbrough:

April 2-4 | April 5 | April 6-7 | April 8-12 | April 13-16

Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2003 9:33 PM
To: Lee Yarbrough 363 EACCS/CREW310
Subject: RE: Short memory

Hey Lee,

Hope you made your best out of Easter in the Middle East. At least you are close to where Jesus's life began and ended. My 14 year old daughter just did an awesome report on the differences between Islam and Christianity. She did a lot of work and got a 95. I learned so much reading it, I wish she would do another! What did you end up doing for Easter and how was dinner?

We spent the day at Dory's cousins house and had a bunch of people there with lots of little kids running around. My little daughter Charlotte went down a slide by herself and learned to blow bubbles, but only after sucking down a pint of the soap first. It was very cute. We had a beautiful day up here for the first time since I have been here all year.

I spoke with Craig Harmon and Bob Rotella tonight. I have finished 1/3 of the year and want to put a plan together for the next few months. My biggest fault is thinking about my swing way too much and trying every new theory in the book. Bob keeps me focused on what I have to think about and Craig does a great job at not letting me think about everything!!! He is a great guy and teacher. His family is so rich in golf tradition and although the four brothers are all different they have such a close bond it is great to see.

I am trying to figure out when we are going to play golf. I think we would be a good team and could find a good game somewhere. Any news on what is a timetable on your return? You must hate that question.

Have you been able to do any PT? I love coming home because I can step up the work in the gym and two weeks gets me going pretty good.

If you care the Red Sox won their 7th straight by beating Toronto in the botttom of the 9th! I know you don't like them, but they are catching those Yanks. Boston Marathon tomorrow.

Sac Kings beat the Jazz and there was a big article on the Patriots and who they are going to draft this year. They lost Tebucky Jones, a star linebacker to the Saints, and now they get something like 13 draft choices this year!

I met Parcells last year at a golf tournament and he was great. I was intimidated meeting him, I could see where he could wear you out as a player.

Have a great day.

Brad

Sent: Friday, April 18, 2003 8:36 AM
To: Brad Faxon

Hi Brad,

Sounds like Charlotte will be a computer engineer for sure. I was actually heading to the Heritage homepage when your email "popped up".

Davis seems to always play so well at Harbour Town, but I have faith that you will take care of business today! As for Titileist ... some companies just do things right and Titileist is one of them. Ever since I was old enough to buy my own equipment I have always loved Titileist. The balance and feel of their clubs is unmatched. I really appreciate you thinking of me and I have already warned the "chops" that when I return and start hitting that new stuff it is all over!! We are sending you the book "Missing Links" which outlines how the "Chops" came in to being. Rather funny.

Great hearing from you and I will check back in later tonight. As for the one day at a time; one swing at a time, you know the drill. Just take care of business, get the flat stick hot, and everything else will fall into place. I am guilty of looking down the road to when we might leave, but it does absolutely no good.

Bye for now,

Lee

Sent: Friday, April 18, 2003 8:25 AM
To: Lee Yarbrough 363 EACCS/CREW310

Hey Lee,

You will get a kick out of this. I had just typed out three paragraphs talking about golf and what we go through mentally out here and maybe how it could relate to what you guys are going through and my 15 month old daughter climbed on my lap and pressed two buttons and deleted all the stuff I had written! It was so fast, like she knew what she was doing and of course she smiled, so I couldn't get mad at her!

Anyway, I was telling you about what we work on with Rotella. He always talks about the process rather than the result and dealing with one shot at a time and not thinking about holes ahead or behind. I get guilty of thinking about my swing a little too much and it affects my attitude on the course and affects my imagination. He wants me to not think about the score and really get into being in the right mindset. I imagine over there it would be really easy to think about all kinds of things, especially when you don't have any sleep schedule or know when you are getting home. The old theory of one day at a time must be important over there. I can't imagine how you guys must feel.

I am impressed with how much of a Titleist guy you are. The Futura is the new rage out here. I think it swings so nice you just have to get used to the way it looks. Lots of guys have it. I want to have you hooked up with some new stuff when you get back and hopefully I can get in a round with the Chops sometime! I am excited that the guys over there get a charge out of hearing what we are talking about. We certainly look forward to getting a new email every day. Dory is going to call Anita and check in.

I play today at 12:45 and need to play a little better today. Davis Love is the man to beat over here and he got off to another great start with an opening 66.

Look forward to hearing from you, but please sleep before you type back to us!!

Your friend,

Brad

Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 7:00 AM
To: Brad Faxon

Hi Brad,

Man, does Harbor Town sound like the place to be. I have not personally been there, but my father has and he comments on the relaxed pace of life and the scenic beauty. Right about now a long slow weekend sounds so good to me.

We just landed after an excruciatingly long day/night/day sortie. I truly do not know what day it is, I am in a funk. My day started yesterday at 10am when I got up and it is now 3pm, so about 29 hours I have been awake, and I can't go to sleep because I need to try and maintain some semblance of schedule.

Although the requirements for my platform have waned, the senior leaders are a little reluctant to let us redeploy to home station. I understand where they are coming from, but it is very painful for us. We dedicated so much time and energy in getting the troops to Baghdad, that this new slower pace takes it's toll and makes for a long flight. We are professionals though and we concentrate on the now and not the what "ifs" of tomorrow, because as you know no one can predict what tomorrow will bring. What I do know is that every day after the first 100 that I am gone becomes more difficult to accept.

As for my golf game ... been playing 30 years, am a 4 handicap, unless playing with an established PGA future hall of famer, then I am a solid 10. I use stiff shafts and tend to hit my irons high and usually hit an 8 iron about 150 yards. My current driver is a 5 year old 975D with 8.5 degrees of loft that I recently added an inch to, which I now know was a mistake. Since I am only 5'10", it is too long a shaft and I feel the inch disrupted the precise feel that Titileist built into the club. As for putter, I am eyeing that Scotty Cameron Futura. I saw on Scotty's website where you have tested it and gave good reviews, but really any Cameron putter in the Faxon family of Cameron putters, like the Faxday or Laguna is awesome. Golf balls, I LOVE the ProV1, and have yet to even see or hear about the ProV1x until you mentioned it to me.

Look so forward until we can meet and tee it up. All the "Chops" are so proud and thankful for what you are doing and the outstanding support your showing all America. Once you meet the "Chops" and play a round or two with these guys you will instantly agree they personify all that is good about golf.

Well, I must email Anita now. Don't want her to feel neglected as I am writing you all the long emails. LOL. She is such a trooper, and truly makes me a better man.

Good luck today, the Faxon legion is growing daily ...

Lee