Jocks to GIs: Rod Brind'Amour

4/30/2003

See previous e-mail between Rod Brind'Amour and Marty Markos:

April 3-7, 2003

Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 10:35 AM
To: Markos Martin SSgt 444 AEG
Subject: RE: 0-2, yet again 0-3 oh no

Martin

I just thought I would check in and see how you are making out.

I can't really believe the Wings are down 3-0, but it goes to show what can happen in todays game, especially with a hot goaltender. My buddy Jason Woolley is still upbeat and thinks they will pull it out. I do think they can come back, but it might take a lot out of them if they do.

I know you probably don't want to talk much about it, but if you get bored fill me in a little bit more as to what you do with the Air Force. I find it interesting.

Take care,

Rod

Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 5:11 PM
To: Rod Brind'Amour
Subject: 0-2, yet again

Rod

Things are good here... well, other than sports wise at least. Wings are down 0-2, Ben Wallace hurts his knee right before the playoffs, and then there are the Tigers! Not too worried about the Wings, like you said, they were there last year, too. Hopefully they will be able to pull out of this little funk. It's not that they are playing bad, they are just not catching any breaks. Who knows, a few more breaks go their way and things could turn around the whole series.

Everything is going well here. Looks like the end is getting a little closer. Today is day 84 for us (not that anyone is keeping track, yeah right), so hopefully this won't last too much longer. I am ready to get home. You miss out on a lot of things here, but I guess at least I am not missing any major holidays (fingers crossed). There is still the possibility that I may miss both of my kids b-days though (4 and 7 July), but I really hope not.

As always, great to hear from you. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

PERSCO Rocks!

Martin N Markos

PERSCO Deployed

Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2003 5:26 PM
Subject: Wings tonight

Martin

I am glad to hear the optimistic tone of your message with regards to the war.

This has to be a short message as it is a little hectic around here right now. I have three kids and as I am sure you know it can be a little scary at times.

Your Wings start tonight, and I will also be sort of rooting for them as Jason Woolley is a good friend of mine.

Take care and I'll talk to you soon,

Rod

Sent: Wednesday, April 9, 2003 8:27 PM
Subject: Another day, another $3.50

Rod

As always, good to hear from you. Things are still pretty quiet around here, can't complain too much.

Funny you should mention about the statue of Saddam. I was over at the chow all eating, and got to catch a little bit of the news, and that is what was on. We do have access to news channels here, but most of the information I get comes from the internet. So basically, we get the same info, mine is probably just delayed a little bit. As for media at this location, its a no go. I guess we are lucky in that aspect. From the looks of things, the majority of this should be done and over with soon.

Keeping in touch with friends and family is mostly done by email. My Dad is set in his ways, no computers for him at all. So I have to call if I want to get a hold of him. They have modified our phone calls to where we can make one fifteen minute call per week. I got to call tonight, but we got cut off after about five minutes. I guess at least I got to hear his voice for a little bit. There is always next week.

Good to hear your hand is healing up . Do you still work out pretty hard in the off season, or do you tend to take it easy? I'm sure normally you need this time for you body to heal. I don't know how you guys make it through the season physically. And to me, it seems like hockey players wear their toughness as a badge of honor. I mean, how many other sports are there where you take stitches in between shifts? I mean, look at basketball, those guys are on the injured reserve for like three weeks if they get their feelings hurt.

Playoffs start tonight, looks like there are already some upsets brewing. Dallas and Ottawa both trailing.

Have to go, time to get some work done around here. Look forward to hearing from you again.

PERSCO Rocks

Marty Markos
SSgt, USAF
PERSCO Deployed

Sent: Wednesday, April 9, 2003 12:06 PM
Subject: RE: What's up

Martin

It is good to hear that things are improving for you guys. I just got home from a little skate and light workout and saw on the tube the fallen statue of the guy you are all after. I often wonder if you guys get the same coverage over there as we get here. I also wonder how accurate all this coverage is and if you like having all the media around or are they a pain in the butt.

To answer some of your questions, I had surgery to repair a ruptured tendon in my hand and am presently trying to recover. I hope to be fully recovered for next season. As for which is better, the Olympics or the Finals, they both were great experiences for me. The Olympics were great as you get to play with such great players, one of which you probably know very well, Steve Yzerman, and you get a chance to know them when you otherwise would not. The finals are equally exciting, but being there twice and losing both times leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I just hope to get one more chance.

I hope your morale is upbeat and you get to come home sooner rather than later. I know this has to be tough on you guys but hopefully you are able to keep in touch with your families and talk to them once in a while.

Talk to you soon, good luck,

Rod

Sent: Monday, April 7, 2003 8:20 PM
Subject: What's up

Mr Brind'Amour-

As always, good to hear from you. My whole office looks forward to your emails!

I am on the night shift now, so it is about four in the morning here. That's ok though, it is not like there are tons of things to do here. Things have improved 100% since we first got here. At least now we have warm (not hot, just warm) showers on a regular basis. The food is also slowly improving, since we have moved into our "Super 9-1 Dining Facility" (fancy for big chow hall). And who knows, maybe the food isn't really getting better, we are just getting used to it! As my boss would say though, "it's all good"... and around here, I guess the use of the word good is relative.

It is rough being away from family and friends, that is for sure. We are on day 78 now, some have been here longer. That in itself is a long time to be away, and there is really no end in site for us. That is ok, we are here to do a job, when that is done then we can focus more on going home, as for now, we focus on the mission.

I do remember reading about your hand... how is that healing up? Is this something that is going to hinder you, or should you be good to go for next year? One quick hockey question of the day for you: Bigger thrill, Stanley Cup or Olympics?

Hope to hear from you soon.

PERSCO Rocks!

Martin Markos
PERSCO Deployed