Because some campuses regulate the sale of Student and Faculty passes, StubHub cannot guarantee the sale of such passes. Please be aware of any restrictions before ordering tickets designated for students or faculty.
Field Level Suites must be specified as Field Level Suites East or West in order to appear in the map.
Buy Demon Deacons Tickets »
Year Opened: 1968
| Field Surface: Artificial Turf
Situated in the town of Wake Forest, N.C., Groves Stadium began hosting Demon Deacons football games when it opened in 1940. Wake Forest officials decided in 1948 to move games a mile away to Winston-Salem. The original stadium had been financed by Henry Groves, and he and his brother, Earl, opted to make additional contributions to the football operations in order to keep their namesake on any new stadium after the move to Winston-Salem. However, financing for the relocation would take nearly two decades before construction of a new facility became a reality.
In the meantime, Bowman Gray Stadium -- for years a frequent site of scheduled Wake Forest games in Winston-Salem -- would become the Demon Deacons' permanent football home from 1956 through 1967.
A new round of stadium fund-raising began in earnest in 1966 and, on Sept. 14, 1968, the "new" Groves Stadium opened with a 10-6 loss to North Carolina State. The Demon Deacons recorded the first win in their new digs Oct. 26, 1968, when they outlasted North Carolina, 48-31.
The venue's attendance mark was established Nov. 13, 2004, when 37,623 witnessed Wake Forest lose 31-24 to North Carolina in a tightly contested game. Groves Stadium was renamed BB&T Field in 2007.
The Demon Deacons have posted two undefeated home seasons in BB&T Field history. The first was during their 1970 ACC Championship season, and the second came nine years later.
The unique Demon Deacon mascot started with the help of the school newspaper, a creative publicity director and a dare by a fraternity. Wake Forest teams were originally called the "Baptists" or "The Old Gold and Black." In 1922, Mayor Parker, the editor of the school newspaper, used "Demon Deacons" to describe a victory over Trinity (now Duke). Then publicity director Henry Belk used the term in press releases, and newspapers around the country picked it up.
But the nickname took on a new fervor in 1941, when Jack Baldwin was dared by his frat brothers to dress up as a Demon Deacon. "We tried to make him a little more dignified than other mascots," Baldwin said, according to the official university website. "So we dressed up like you would think an old Baptist Deacon would dress up." Baldwin complemented a top hat and tails with an umbrella, then entered the stadium striding a Carolina ram. The image stuck and the top hat and tails became a permanent part of the Demon Deacon mascot.
Alabama's reign over? Texas and Oklahoma to be troubled by a conference rival? National recruiting reporter Jeremy Crabtree joins ESPN's Phil Murphy to offer bold predictions for the 2016 recruiting class.