Rangers' Young passes Pudge in hits
Young's two-out, two-RBI single up the middle in the eighth inning against Florida Marlins reliever Jay Buente gave him the all-time lead. An inning earlier, Young tied Rodriguez with a double to right center off reliever Jorge Sosa to lead off the frame. The Rangers would win their fourth straight with a 6-3 win in Miami.
All of Young's hits in the majors have come in a Texas uniform.
More Texas Rangers coverage
For more news, notes and analysis of the Rangers, check out ESPN Dallas' Rangers Report. Blog
The mark only enhances Young's status as one of the greatest Rangers of all time. Among the numbers that put him at or near the top of the club record book:
• He has had six seasons with a .300 average or better, one more than Rodriguez, including a stretch of five consecutive from 2003-07.
• He has been selected as a reserve for the All-Star team the last six seasons, second-most in club history (five at shortstop and one at third base). He was the MVP of the game in 2006.
• He's the all-time club leader in multi-hit games and three-hit games.
• He has 44 triples, tied with Ruben Sierra for the franchise lead.
• He has more hitting streaks of 10 or more games than any other Ranger.
Young, who was born in Covina, Calif., was drafted by the Blue Jays in the fifth round of the 1997 MLB draft. He was traded to Texas in July 2000 along with right-handed pitcher Darwin Cubillan for right-hander Esteban Loaiza.
Young picked up his first major league hit, a single, on May 27, 2001 in Baltimore. He started 102 games at second base that season and was an integral part of the infield from that point forward. He moved to shortstop full time in 2004 to make room for Alfonso Soriano at second. Young was named a reserve for the All-Star team that season and every season he played at shortstop.
After winning a Gold Glove in 2008, the club asked Young to move to third base so that Elvis Andrus could start at shortstop. Young made the All-Star team at third base and won his fourth Rangers Player of the Year Award in 2009.