- Tim MacMahon, ESPN Staff Writer
- 0 Shares
Phillips said the Cowboys "would play the best player, no matter what." However, he strongly considers Williams one of the Cowboys' top two receivers despite his poor production since the Cowboys sent Detroit first-, third- and sixth-round picks for Williams and a seventh-rounder in the middle of the 2008 season.
Owner/general manager Jerry Jones said Sunday he could not envision a scenario in which a healthy Williams doesn't start for Dallas next season.
"A big no," said Jones, who gave Williams a five-year, $45 million contract the week after trading for him.
Williams has 57 catches for 794 yards and eight touchdowns in 25 games with the Cowboys. Phillips said Friday that he still believes Williams can be a Pro Bowl player, as he was for the Lions in 2006.
Phillips has consistently said it's up to the coaching staff to get the best out of Williams. He said Friday that part of the responsibility is on Williams, although he praised the receiver's effort.
"I think you could look for him to have the kind of year we expected him to have last year," Jones said. "I'm optimistic about Roy Williams. We've got to do some things to help Roy, to help his game. We've got to do some things with the way we get him the ball to enhance his game. We're going to do that."
Roy Williams' job as a starting wide receiver for the Cowboys appears to be safe, after all.