Security scare at Cowboys Stadium
Super Bowl preparations continued in and around Cowboys Stadium on Friday morning following a security scare caused by a suspicious package in the road near the facility.
Various local media outlets had reported that Cowboys Stadium had been briefly put on lockdown for what reportedly turned out to be a piece of trash, but Cowboys senior director of corporate communications Brett Daniels said work continued throughout the investigation.
"We set up an evacuation area and suited up a bomb technician, who was sent downrange and investigated," Arlington Fire Department spokesman Lt. Pete Arevalo said. "They just determined it to be trash."
A 911 call was placed at about 8 a.m. CT after witnesses reported seeing a person throw a package down a storm drain on Randol Mill Road, near the Walmart across from the stadium. Randol Mill Road, Collins Street and Cowboys Way were closed as the Arlington Fire Department investigated.
The roads were re-opened by 10:15 a.m.
"We do want people to notify the local law enforcement or fire department when they see suspicious activity," Lt. Arevalo said. "It could be nothing but again it could be the time where there is an incident."
About 2,000 people are working in and around Cowboys Stadium in final preparation for Super Bowl XLV, which will be held Feb. 6.
Todd Archer covers the Cowboys for ESPNDallas.com.